Download 7-zip for windows open-source and free file archiver program that works on multiple platforms, a utility used to place groups of files within compressed containers known as “archives”. 7-Zip uses its own 7z archive format but can read and write several other archive formats. It is developed by Igor Pavlov and was first released in 1999.
The file archiver software can be used from a command-line interface as the command p7zip, or through a graphical user interface that also features shell integration. Most of the 7-Zip source code is under the GNU LGPL license; the unRAR code, however, is under the GNU LGPL with an “unRAR restriction”, which states that developers are not permitted to use the code to reverse-engineer the RAR compression algorithm.
You can use 7-Zip file compression software on any computer, including a computer in a commercial and business organization. You don’t need to register or pay for it. It also creates password-protected file zip files, as well as self-extracting zip files.
It can also extract archive files such as ZIP, TAR, and GZ as well as create TAR and GZ archives. Unfortunately, it doesn’t support RAR files like other archiving software such as Winzip.
7Zip works in Windows 10 / 8 / 7 / Vista / XP / 2016 / 2012 / 2008 / 2003 / 2000 / NT.p7zip – the port of the command line version of 7-Zip to Linux/Posix.
We compared 7-Zip with WinRAR 5.20.
FILE SETS: Mozilla Firefox 34.0.5 for Windows and Google Earth 188.8.131.5213 for Windows.
|Archiver||Mozilla Firefox||Google Earth|
85 280 391 bytes
110 700 519 bytes
|Compressed size||Ratio||Compressed size||Ratio|
|39 357 375||100%||15 964 369||100%|
-m5 -s -ma5 -md128m
|41 789 543||106%||17 035 432||107%|
It features a high-compression ratio using LMZA compression and AES-256 encryption for file encryption. Compression ratio results are very dependent upon the data used for the tests. Usually, 7-Zip compresses to 7z format 30-70% better than to zip format. And 7-Zip compresses to zip format 2-10% better than most of the other zip compatible programs. This is an ultimate free zip folder for sure.
Download 7 zip for Windows features
- High compression ratio in 7z format with LZMA and LZMA2 compression
- Supported formats: Packing/unpacking: 7z, XZ, BZIP2, GZIP, TAR, ZIP and WIM Unpacking only: AR, ARJ, CAB, CHM, CPIO, CramFS, DMG, EXT, FAT, GPT, HFS, IHEX, ISO, LZH, LZMA, MBR, MSI, NSIS, NTFS, QCOW2, RAR, RPM, SquashFS, UDF, UEFI, VDI, VHD, VMDK, WIM, XAR and Z.
- High compression ratio in new 7z format with LZMA compression
- Supported packing/unpacking formats: 7z, ZIP, GZIP, BZIP2, and TAR.
- Supported formats for unpacking only: ARJ, CAB, CHM, CPIO, DEB, DMG, HFS, ISO, LZH, LZMA, MSI, NSIS, RAR, RPM, UDF, WIM, XAR, and Z.
- Compression ratio for ZIP and GZIP formats: 2-10 % better than the ratio provided by PKZip and WinZip.
- Strong AES-256 encryption in 7z and ZIP formats.
- Self-extracting capability for 7z format.
- Integration with Windows Shell.
- Powerful File Manager.
- Powerful command-line version.
- Plugin for FAR Manager.
- Localizations for 87 languages.
Screenshots of 7-Zip Compression Software
Official Video Intro 7-Zip Extractor Software
Compress 1GB File To 10 MB Using 7 Zip
7-Zip Compression Software FAQs
Can I use 7-Zip in a commercial organization?
Yes, 7-Zip is free software. You can use it on any computer. You don’t need to register or pay for 7-Zip.
How can I set file associations to 7-Zip in Windows 7 and Windows Vista?
You must run 7-Zip File Manager in administrator mode. Right-click the icon of 7-Zip File Manager, and then click Run as administrator. Then you can change file associations and some other options.
Why can new 7-Zip versions create larger archives than old versions?
New versions of 7-Zip (starting from version 15.06) use another file sorting order by default for solid 7z archives.
Old version of 7-Zip (before version 15.06) used file sorting “by type” (“by extension”).
New version of 7-Zip supports two sorting orders:
- sorting by name – default order.
- sorting by type, if ‘qs‘ is specified in Parameters field in “Add to archive” window, (or -mqs switch for command line version).
You can get big difference in compression ratio for different sorting methods, if dictionary size is smaller than total size of files. If there are similar files in different folders, the sorting “by type” can provide better compression ratio in some cases.
Note that sorting “by type” has some drawbacks. For example, NTFS volumes use sorting order “by name”, so if an archive uses another sorting, then the speed of some operations for files with unusual order can fall on HDD devices (HDDs have low speed for “seek” operations).
You can increase compression ratio with the following methods:
- Increase dictionary size. It can help when ‘qs’ is not used.
- Specify ‘qs‘ in Parameters field (or use -mqs switch for command line version).
If you think that unusual file order is not problem for you, and if better compression ratio with small dictionary is more important for you, use ‘qs‘ mode.
Why can’t 7-Zip open some ZIP archives?
In 99% of these cases it means that the archive contains incorrect headers. Other ZIP programs can open some archives with incorrect headers, since these programs just ignore errors.
If you have such archive, please don’t call the 7-Zip developers about it. Instead try to find the program that was used to create the archive and inform the developers of that program that their software is not ZIP-compatible.
There are also some ZIP archives that were encoded with methods unsupported by 7-Zip, for example, WAVPack (WinZip).
Why can’t 7-Zip open some RAR archives?
7-Zip 9.20 supports RAR 2/3/4 formats only and doesn’t support RAR5 archives. But latest versions of 7-Zip supports RAR5 archives.
7-Zip Compression Software Older Versions
|7z1900-x64.exe||21 Feb,2021||1.38 MB||Download|
|File Size||1.50 MB|
Comments are closed.