Bandizip is a straightforward compression and decompression tool which includes a long list of supported formats, whether we’re talking about archive files (e.g. ZIP, RAR, CAB, 7Z, LZH), UNIX files types (e.g. TAR, GZ, TGS, LZMA), CD/DVD-related formats (e.g. ISO, IMG) or others (JAR, WAV, XPI).
The interface sets itself apart from other similar programs, thanks to its minimalistic appearance which enables any type of users to quickly get accustomed to Bandizip, regardless of their previous skill.
Opening an existing archive can be done by using either the file browser or ‘drag and drop’ method. Unfortunately, Bandizip doesn’t contain an Explorer-based layout built into the mainframe that would have allowed you to easily browse for files. This is only available when creating a new archive.
Create new archives, split them into multiple files, and set a password
After selecting the files to include in the archive, you can specify the output destination, file name, type, splitting method, compression level, and a password. Plus, Bandizip may be set to automatically delete the original files when the task is done.
The program supplies advanced users with a multitude of configurable settings regarding compression (e.g. use the Unicode filename in ZIP files, save NTFS time information when compressing), file associations, context menu integration, extraction (e.g. open the folder after extracting, set the default code page), and others (e.g. alter the default temporary location, move files to the Recycle Bin when deleting them).
Features of Bandizip:
Compression and Extraction:
- Zip(z01), ZipX(zx01), TAR, TGZ, LZH, ISO, 7Z(7z.001), and EXE(e01).
- RAR(part1.rar, r01), ACE, AES, ALZ, APK, ARJ, BH, BIN, BZ, BZ2, CAB, EGG, GZ, J2J, JAR, IMG, IPA, ISZ, LHA, LZMA, PMA, TBZ, TBZ2, TGZ, TLZ, TXZ, UDF, WAR, WIM, XPI, XZ, and Z.
- Support for Unicode to display international characters.
- Bypass files that don’t compress well using the “High-Speed Archiving” function.
- Extract files to the destination folder directly using the “Fast Drag & Drop” function.
- Create self-extracting files (.EXE) and multi-volume (split) archives.
- Optional archive encryption using ZipCrypto and AES 256.
- Context Menu access including the “Preview Archive” function.
- Create or extract multiple zip files simultaneously from windows explorer.
- Free to use at both home and in the office.
Additional tools and settings
Other features of Bandizip allow you to test the integrity of archives, rename files within an archive, edit archive comments, use a file search function within an archive, customize the columns in the main application window pertaining to the file properties, as well as switch to a different language for the GUI. Settings can be restored to their factory parameters anytime.
Evaluation and conclusion
The compression tool finishes compression and decompression jobs swiftly while using a decent amount of CPU and system memory. No error dialogs were shown, and the tool didn’t hang or crash. All in all, Bandizip should meet the requirements of most users who prefer a fast, lightweight and efficient compression program.