Kaspersky Secure Connection is a low-cost, easy-to-use and torrent-friendly VPN service aimed at home users and the networking novice.
Kaspersky Secure Connection focus on non-technical users became obvious from the moment we first looked at the website. It contains almost no details on the number of countries or locations available, the supported protocols, DNS issues, kill switches or anything faintly low-level.
To protect your privacy when going online and leaving tracks behind, it’s necessary to use a VPN application capable of masking your real identity by bouncing your IP address through different countries.
Kaspersky Secure Connection represents the VPN solution of Russian developer Kaspersky, which can be easily configured in order to get it up and running in no time. Unlike most VPN tools out there, the free edition of this program doesn’t require any kind of registration so you can start using it immediately after setup.
Connect to the Internet using a VPN service
Creating an icon in the systray after installation, the program facilitates quick access to its options, showing a list of all countries that you can connect to. However, the free edition doesn’t provide you with this feature. Instead, Kaspersky automatically connects to a random region from the list.
It’s advisable to keep an eye on the number of megabytes used since data allowance is limited in the free version (200MB/day). Unfortunately, Kaspersky Secure Connection fails to show numbers in real-time so you can rapidly reach this limit without even realizing it.
Choose a preferred region to connect to
It’s possible to mark favorite countries, ask the tool to automatically run every time you turn on your PC, establish the VPN connection as soon as the application gets launched, reset all hidden notifications, as well as apply general connection rules to wireless networks.
These rules focus on notifications if wireless connections cannot be established, action to take on connection to insecure networks, and virtual server to use when a secure connection is enabled.
Kaspersky Secure Connection Features
- Safeguards your privacy & your data – when you’re online: When you want to surf the Web, Kaspersky Secure Connection automatically offers to connect you via Virtual Private Network (VPN) technology – so others can’t see what you’re doing and you can safely go online in privacy.
- Keeps your communications away from prying eyes: Whether you’re online banking, shopping, video streaming, socializing or dating, we make sure hackers can’t read your communications. All data you send & receive is transferred via an encrypted, secure channel – and your location and IP address aren’t revealed.
- Protects you – whenever & wherever – and won’t log your activities: Because your location and your IP address aren’t revealed, it’s easier for you to access websites and content in other regions – without being traced. Kaspersky Secure Connection won’t log what you’re doing online and won’t keep any records of which websites you visit.
- 140 MB free disk space on the hard drive
- CD-/DVD-ROM (for installing from the installation CD)
- Internet connection
- MICROSOFT INTERNET EXPLORER 8.0 OR LATER.
- MICROSOFT WINDOWS INSTALLER 3.0 OR LATER
- MICROSOFT .NET FRAMEWORK 4 OR LATER
Requirements for tablet computers
- Intel Celeron processor with a clock speed of 1.66 GHz or faster
- 1000 MB free RAM
Requirements for netbooks
- Intel Atom CPU 1.60 GHz or faster
- 1024 MB free RAM
- 10.1-inch display with 1024×600 screen resolution
- Intel GMA 950 or higher
Easy-to-use but unimpressive VPN app
The application worked smoothly on Windows 10 in our tests and had a low impact on computer performance. It’s also shipped with Kaspersky Free, which was recently released.
All aspects considered, Kaspersky Secure Connection delivers a simple and easy to use solution for setting up a VPN to protect your privacy when going online. On the other hand, it doesn’t bring anything new to the table.