UMANG App is another leap towards the ‘Digital India’ after an advanced and digital toll payment system launched across Indian highways. The Umang mobile app promoting e-governance common platform called Umang (Unified Mobile Application for New-age Governance) and launched by the prime minister of India Mr. Narendra Modi On 23 November 2017. With its vision, where every Indian would be able to access various government services through just a tap on their smartphones. The Umang Application allows users to access a large number of government-related services, from ration cards, passports, railway ticket bookings, land records and much more. After several months of development and several phases of testing, the government recently launched the UMANG app as a single point of contact for almost 200 government services offered by various government agencies.
A few of the key advantages of using the UMANG App are:
- Single-Point Access: All government services are available for citizens on a unified platform for easy access through multiple online and offline channels (SMS, email, app, and web).
- More for Less: Only a single mobile app needs to be installed instead of each app of each department.
- Convenience: Citizens do not even need to install or update the app again to avail government services if more services are added to the platform.
- Saving of Time and Money: Citizens can anytime and anywhere avail these services through their mobile phones, desktops, and laptops without any need for visiting the department office and standing in queues.
- Uniform Experience: All the government services including payment-based transactions provide secure and uniform experience.
It is an evolving platform designed for citizens of India to offer them access to the pan-India e-Gov services from the Central, State, Local Bodies, and Agencies of government on app, web, SMS, and IVR channels.
Features of UMANG:
- Unified Platform: It brings together all government departments and their services on a single platform to provide better and easier services to citizens.
- Mobile-First Strategy: It aligns all government services with the mobile-first strategy to leverage mobile adoption trends.
- Integration with Digital India Services: It provides seamless integration with other Digital India Services like Aadhaar, DigiLocker, and PayGov. Any new such service will automatically be integrated with the platform.
- Uniform Experience: It is designed to enable citizens to discover, download, access, and use all government services easily.
- Secure and Scalable: It supports Aadhaar-based and other authentication mechanisms for service access. The sensitive profile data is saved in an encrypted format and no one can view this information.
Basic uses of UMANG
Sample usage of the app includes locating CBSE exam centers, viewing school results, calculating crop insurance premium, accessing soil health cards, booking OPD appointments at government hospitals and viewing lab reports from there, registering and applying for the PMKY scheme, raising EPFO claims and more.
Key services offered by the UMANG App:
Digi-Locker Facility: The UMANG app provides access to central, state, and regional facilities on the go and helps save time and effort in engaging with different organizations. It also helps connect with different customer support and grievance cells on-the-go. It also helps access all your documents at one place online, facilitating quick processing and eliminating the hassle of dealing with various individuals to access government services.
HP, Indane Gas, Bharat Gas: People using Gas cylinders can apply for new cylinders, check for availability and order a new cylinder on the UMANG app.
EPFO: The app aids in checking available balance in the EPF account. Pension and gratuity can be calculated on the pension portal and assessed in real-time.
PMAY Scheme: The app manages the Housing for All Scheme launched by the Government of India by featuring the PMAY scheme. It can be used to know details related to PMAY – application status, subsidy benefit etc. It even allows access to land records for personal use via the e-Dhara Land Records.
GST: Since it’s linked to the Goods and Services Tax Network (GSTN), the app will make it easy to register and track GST-related payments. Income tax filing using just a cell phone is now possible, thanks to the app.
Bharat Bill Pay Service (BBPS): National billing service called Bharat Bill Pay Service is also available on UMANG. Utility bills like electricity, telephone, DTH can be paid off with one click.
PAN: People can apply for a Permanent Account Number (PAN) through application form 49A for individual, firm etc. PAN card details can be changed using CSF form. PAN card status tracking and payments can be done easily as well.
PariVahan Seva Vahan: The UMANG app enables citizens to access and download vehicle registration documents from the PariVahan Seva Vahan.
CBSE: All information regarding CBSE exams, exam centers, and results are easily available on the UMANG app.
e-Pathshala: The e-Pathshala is a joint initiative by the Ministry of Human Resource Development (MHRD), Government of India and National Council of Educational Research and Training (NCERT). Students and parents can access e-books, audios, and videos. There are also enough resources for teachers like e-books, teaching instructions, periodicals, curricular resources, audios, and videos. All of this can now be done through the UMANG app.
NPS: Users can subscribe to the service, change scheme, recharge amount etc. with a simple PRAN and password.
Passport Seva: Ministry of External Affairs (India) has ensured that all processes related to application, processing and delivery of a passport can be made and tracked using the UMANG app.
Pharma Sahi Daam: The app provides this tool for comparing prices of scheduled and non-scheduled drugs at the time of purchase and looking for substitutes, if necessary.
Crop Insurance: The UMANG app allows farmers to calculate Insurance principles and premiums for their crops according to the different schemes introduced by the government from time to time.
The UMANG app is available for devices running on various software platforms such as Android, Windows, and iOS, it can be downloaded from the respective App Store of each platform. The UMANG App may can also be downloaded from an official Government of India website: https://web.umang.gov.in/. On Android version 4.4 and above, the application requires around 10MB of storage space. Once you download the app on your mobile or tablet, you have to register and set it up, using the steps below: