UltraDefrag is an amazing circle defragmentation device for Windows. It is the primary open source defragmenter with the full help of framework bolted documents defragmentation. In reality, all records including vault hives and paging documents can be handled by UltraDefrag during the Windows boot process.
In spite of the fact that it doesn’t give such huge numbers of interface customization instruments adjacent to textual style and hues, UltraDefrag features a natural look, so you shouldn’t go through over a moment to make sense of which highlight is which.
Boot Time Defragmentation: This feature provides an ability to defragment any system files. Including page file, registry hives, hiberfil.sys file and many other files locked by the system or other applications when windows are fully running.
Fast Disk Optimization: The optimizer rearranges all data and places them at the beginning of the drive. In many instances, we have found, that the system is more stable and performs a lot better under load if data is placed at the beginning of the drive.
Single File and Folder Defragmentation: After UltraDefrag is installed you have the ability to select any file or folder and defragment it. This option is mostly useful if you have recently installed an application or a game and would like to have it defragmented immediately for maximum performance.
- System files defragmentation (page-file, hibernation file, etc)
- MFT (master file table) defragmentation
- NTFS metafiles defragmentation
- Ultrafast NTFS analysis
- Fast defragmentation algorithm
- Effective disk optimization algorithm (many strategies available)
- Safety, it can never damage processed files
- Simplicity, it can be used without reading the documentation
- Ability to defragment single files/directories from the context menu of Explorer
- Ability to defragment additional streams attached to NTFS files
- Ability to exclude any unimportant files based on flexible filters
- Ability to defragment files, which have more fragments than specified by a threshold
- Ability to automatically break defragmentation when the specified time interval elapses
- Ability to perform defragmentation only when the disk fragmentation level is above the specified value
- Ability to select multiple disks for the defragmentation
- Well readable HTML reports
- Powerful command-line interface
- Ability to automatically hibernate/shutdown PC after a job is done
- Ability to make automatic effective defragmentation through Windows Task Scheduler
- Multilingual graphical interface
- Little binaries (about 1 Mb)
- Portable version available which requires no installation
- Native 64-bit support
- Open source code licensed under GPL
UltraDefrag can defragment both FAT and NTFS disks with just a couple of restrictions:
It cannot defragment FAT directories, because their first clusters are immovable. It cannot defragment master file tables (MFT), because their first 16 clusters are immovable.
However, the program tries to optimize those files placing their fragments close to each other behind the first one.
UltraDefrag can be used on Windows XP/Vista/7/8/10 as well as Windows Server 2003/2008/2012/2016. Elder versions of the program (prior to v7) can be used on Windows NT 4.0 and Windows 2000 as well, with some limitations. Additionally, UltraDefrag for Linux exists which is an independent port of the program based on NTFS-3G capabilities.
How to work Ultradefrag
First of all the program analyzes the disk gathering complete information about files and free space gaps.
Then, depending on the selected action, the program either defragments the disk or performs its optimization.
Defragmentation eliminates little fragments from joining them together.
Full optimization moves all small files and fragments to the end of the disk to release some space in the beginning. Then it moves them back, sorted by user-defined criteria, to speed up access to groups of small files. By default, files are sorted by a path in ascending order. Additionally FAT directories and NTFS master file tables get fixed up as mentioned above.
All algorithms are available either from a traditional graphical interface or from a command line (console) interface suitable for batch scripting and scheduled tasks. Additionally, a boot-time interface exists which helps to defragment files locked most of the time.
There are no types of errors found during our testing; UltraDefrag did not freeze, crash or pop up error dialogs. The app represents a simple solution to optimizing the hard disc, for users of any experience level.