Spybot – Search & Destroy detects and removes spyware, a relatively new kind of threat not yet covered by common anti-virus applications. Spyware silently tracks your surfing behavior to create a marketing profile for you that is transmitted without your knowledge to the compilers and sold to advertising companies.
The setup process runs quite smoothly, without taking too much, while the interface has a clean and professional look, with all the available options in the main window. In addition to that, Help contents are provided for each and every tool and thus, making sure that all types of users can learn how to handle SpyBot – Search & Destroy without putting a strain on the computer’s performance.
Scan your computer and view results
The main window provides direct access to the scanning modes, namely: a full system scan that thoroughly analyzes your computer for threats and a custom file and folder scan which allows you to manually select the locations to be processed.
The scanning speed is decent, yet you should know that a full scan can take quite a while. Results are displayed as a list along with information such as location, threat level, type, category, rule, and short description, and it is possible to fix all the selected items with just a click of the button.
Immunizations, stats, and the advanced mode
A system immunization feature is also available, aimed to apply preventive measures against spyware and blocking malware from infecting your computer, while statistics can be generated automatically, such as the date and time of the last system, file or rootkit scan, as well as the total number of detected items.
Update virus definitions regularly and configure other settings
The application is not only able to remove spyware, but it also detects and deletes keyloggers, providing at the same time a fast update tool to download the latest virus definitions. To make sure you are on the safe side all the time, SpyBot – Search & Destroy automatically creates a backup of every single removed file.
Features of Spybot
- Removal of keyloggers
- User-extendable database
- Save removal of threats by shredding them
- Backups of every removed problem
- Exclude option to ignore specific problems
- Permanent blocking of known tracking cookies for IE
- Permanent blocking of threatening downloads in IE
- Command-line parameters to automate tasks
- Detailed information about problems found
- Strict criteria to define targets
- Integrated update function
- Settings to automate scan, removal, and update
- System reports to locate even unknown threats
- Skins to adjust the interface to the users liking
Why does Spybot-Search & Destroy freeze when doing an update?
2. You can still use the manual updater. Download the current file and install it, and you’ll be up-to-date. Here is the direct-update-link where you can reach the latest update every time.
Please use the Spybot 2 program folder as Destination Folder to store the update, by default:
Windows XP: C:\Program Files\Spybot – Search & Destroy 2
Windows Vista or Windows 7 or Windows 8: C:\Programs (x86)\Spybot – Search & Destroy 2