With Samsung SmartThings, you can connect and control multiple devices quicker and easier. No matter where you are, you can monitor and control smart devices, home appliances (refrigerator, wine cellar, washer, dryer, oven range, dishwasher, cooktop, robot vacuum, air conditioner, air purifier and etc.), TVs, and speakers registered on the server.
What is SmartThings?
SmartThings is a brand owned by Samsung. SmartThings isn’t a device but rather a name that Samsung tacks onto other products or uses to indicate it works within the setup. It’s also the name of the app you use to control all the smart devices and products in your home.
In addition to being a brand name, “SmartThings” refers to the cloud-based intelligence that makes your smart homework, as well as the companion app you use to control it all. It’s similar to how “Alexa” refers to both the intelligence that powers an Amazon Echo device and the app you use to set it up, customize your settings, and control your devices.
Samsung has announced that it’s coming out soon with its own smart speaker and assistant, called Galaxy Home and Bixby.
Features of SmartThings:
- Remotely control devices and check the status of devices registered through a Wi-Fi APP.
- Group multiple devices into a Mode and operate them simultaneously.
- Configure the settings of devices, including the time and operating conditions, and operate them automatically.
- Devices can be used together by inviting others to the place where the device is registered.
- The notification feature allows you to receive status information about your device.
- SmartThings is optimized for Samsung smartphones. Some features may be limited when used with other vendors’ smartphones.
- Some features may not be available in all countries.
Required access permissions
Location: Find nearby devices using Bluetooth or BLE.
Optional access permissions
- Camera: Scan QR codes.
- Contacts: Verify user information that will be delivered while transferring files.
- Microphone: Used to provide a voice control function using the microphone.
- Storage: Save and use plugins and app data, and transfer content and files via the app.
- Telephone: Check for app updates, identify the user’s country, and transfer content and files via the app.
If your system software version is lower than Android 6.0, please update the software to configure App permissions.
Previously allowed permissions can be reset on the Apps menu in device settings after software update. You may also visit our Samsung SmartView Application.