Slack App is a cloud-based set of proprietary team collaboration tools and services, founded in America by Stewart Butterfield in the year of 2013. Slack began as an internal tool used by his company, Tiny Speck, in the development of Glitch, a now-defunct online game. The name is an acronym for “Searchable Log of All Conversation and Knowledge”
Slack is a Desktop Software that can be used for video conferencing between teams and available on many platforms like Windows, Mac, Android, Linux, etc. It is used for team communication and group chats. It is one of the best apps to collaborate on multiple workspaces. Share Slack channels with companies and businesses you regularly work with – like clients, vendors, and partners – to bring all the right people into the same room.
Slack used to offer compatibility with the non-proprietary IRC and XMPP messaging protocols, but announced in March 2018 that it would close the corresponding gateways by May 2018.
Slack provides mobile apps for iOS and Android in addition to their web browser client and desktop clients for macOS, Windows, and Linux (beta). Slack is also available for the Apple Watch, allowing users to send direct messages, see mentions, and make simple replies. It was featured on the home screen of the Apple Watch in a 2015 promotional video. Slack has been made to run on a Super Nintendo Entertainment System via Satellaview.
Slack App Key Features
Communication is the backbone of any good project and collaboration. Slack supports how people work, making collaboration easy and efficient – just like working face-to-face. A workspace is a shared hub made up of channels, the spaces where members work together.
Your workspace is comprised of channels: a single place for messaging, tools and files. Channels bring the right people together with all the right information.
- Channels can be based on anything – teams, projects or even office locations – and you can create as many as you need.
- Shared Channels connect two separate organizations together, allowing you to work with external partners and contractors without having to leave Slack. See how our customers are using shared channels.
Direct messages (DMs) and group direct messages (group DMs) are best for ad-hoc conversations that don’t require an entire channel to weigh in. DMs can be useful in a number of ways:
- A substitute for an in-person, one-to-one conversation
- An easy way to catch up with a teammate
- A quick and simple way to ask questions
Notifications are Slack’s way of telling you about items that need your attention. You can choose to receive notifications on your desktop, your mobile device or by email. Slack notifications can even be customized by channel, so you can prioritize where your attention goes.
Mentions and user groups are an easy way to notify team members and get the right eyes on important information. Include an @mention or user group in your messages to notify the right people to keep the right people updated.
- Slack Channels can be divided up by team, project, client or whatever else is relevant to your organization.
- Team members can join and leave channels as and when they need to – unlike with lengthy email chains.
- Threads keep side conversations from derailing the topic or project at hand.
Access to your tools and services
Apps and integrations are the tools that will enable you to build your existing workflows in Slack. Bring important information and alerts into the right channels by connecting services such as Zendesk, Salesforce, Jira or even your own proprietary software. With these tools connected to channels, you can add meaningful context to discussions and complete simple tasks in Slack.
- Bring important information and alerts into relevant channels by connecting services such as Zendesk, Salesforce, JIRA and more to Slack – including your own proprietary software.
- With tools connected to channels, you can add meaningful context to conversations and complete simple tasks directly from Slack.
Accessing the right information in Slack is key to working smarter, faster and more productively. Search your team’s conversation history in Slack to find the relevant messages, files, channels and people that you need to get work done.
- Search everything that’s been posted in channels or your messages. Learn the context of past decisions or see if someone’s already solved the problem at hand.
- Even if you archive or leave a channel, its contents are searchable for future reference. Your conversations become common institutional knowledge.
Secure working environment
At Slack, we’re serious about security. That’s why we offer a number of ways to secure your data.
- For an added layer of security, turn on two-factor authentication (2FA) for your account. If your password is compromised or stolen, you’ll have peace of mind knowing that only you can sign in.
- Slack also supports SAML-based SSO, which allows you to securely access to Slack through an identity provider (IdP) of your choice.
Technical Details for Windows version
- Software Name: Slack
- Setup File Name: SlackSetup.exe
- Size of Setup: 49.9 MB
- Developers: Slack Technologies
Slack- Team Communication App Free Download
|For Android||For Windows (64-bit)|
|For Mac||For Linux (.deb 64-bit)|