Shotcut is a free, open source, cross-platform video editor for Windows, Mac and Linux. Major features include support for a wide range of formats; no import required meaning native timeline editing; Blackmagic Design support for input and preview monitoring; and resolution support to 4k. Edit your videos using Shotcut 64-bit comprehensive software!
Considering the range of advanced settings offered for expert video editors, it’s surprising to see such an intuitive and attractive interface as the one provided by Shotcut. It makes it enjoyable to learn video editing techniques, even if previous experience is absent.
So the exact types of videos that can be opened with this program are not specified, it’s possible to work with just about anything. The video can be played in the main window and stopped at any frame to make tweaks. Plus, you can display a filmstrip to be able to add or remove audio and video tracks with ease.
Also read about a similar VSDC video editor free software
Wide Format Support
Supports hundreds of audio and video formats and codecs thanks to FFmpeg. No import required which means native editing, plus multi-format timelines, resolutions and frame-rates within a project. Frame accurate seeking supported for many video formats.
Device and Transport Options
Blackmagic Design SDI and HDMI for input and preview monitoring. Screen, webcam and audio capture. Network stream playback. Supports resolutions up to 4k and capture from SDI, HDMI, webcam, JACK & Pulse audio, IP stream, X11 screen and Windows DirectShow devices.
Sleek, Intuitive Interface
Multiple dockable and undockable panels, including detailed media properties, recent files with search, playlist with thumbnail view, filter panel, history view, encoding panel, jobs queue, and melted server and playlist. Also supports drag-n-drop of assets from the file manager.
Shotcut Video Editor Features:
- Video compositing across video tracks
- HTML5 (sans audio and video) as video source and filters
- 3-way (shadows, mids, highlights) color wheels for color correction and grading
- Eye dropper tool to pick a neutral color for white balancing
- Fade in/out audio and fade video from and to black with easy-to-use fader controls on the timeline
- Video wipe transitions:
bar, barn door, box, clock (radial), diagonal, iris, matrix, and custom gradient image
- Track compositing/blending modes:
None, Over, Add, Saturate, Multiply, Screen, Overlay, Darken, Dodge, Burn, Hard Light, Soft Light, Difference, Exclusion, HSL Hue, HSL Saturation, HSL Color, HSL Luminosity.
- Audio scopes: loudness, peak meter, waveform, spectrum analyzer
- Volume control
- Audio filters:
Balance, Bass & Treble, Band Pass, Compressor, Copy Channel, Delay, Downmix, Expander, Gain, High Pass, Limiter, Low Pass, Normalize: One Pass, Normalize: Two Pass, Notch, Pan, Reverb, Swap Channels
- Audio mixing across all tracks
- Fade in and out audio and fade video from and to black with easy-to-use fader controls on the timeline
- Cross-fade audio and video dissolve transitions easily by overlapping shots on the same track of the timeline
- JACK transport sync
- Tone generator
- Stereo, mono, and 5.1 surround
- Trimming on source clip player or timeline with ripple option
- Easy-to-use cut, copy and paste operations
- Append, insert, overwrite, lift, and ripple-delete editing on the timeline
- 3-point editing
- Hide, mute, and lock track controls
- Multitrack timeline with thumbnails and waveforms
- Unlimited undo and redo for playlist edits including a history view
- Create, play, edit, save, load, encode, and stream MLT XML projects (with auto-save)
- Save and load trimmed clip as MLT XML file
- Load and play complex MLT XML file as a clip