RawTherapee Portable is a complex and feature-rich software utility designed specifically in order to help you process raw images directly from your digital camera.
Installation is not a prerequisite, as this is the portable counterpart of RawTherapee. You can easily copy the program files to any location on the hard disk and run the tool from there, by simply clicking the executable. Aside from that, you can drop the aforementioned files to a USB flash drive and use RawTherapee Portable on any computer you have access to.
It is important to mention here that the Windows registry and Start menu/screen are not going to be altered by this app.
The straightforward interface is comprised of a folder structure, a tabbed panel from which to choose the image editing tools, and a preview window.
You can save pictures to PNG, JPG, and TIF formats with different compression values, modify the exposure levels, highlight reconstruction, enable shadows and highlights, adjust the light, contrast, and chromaticity.
You can tinker with the image and edge sharpness, micro and simple contrast, simple and impulse noise reduction, RGB curves (Red, Green, Blue), vibrancy, channels, and HSV. There are also simple options, such as cropping, resizing, rotating, and distorting photos.
When you finish editing, all you need to do in order to save the picture to your hard drive is to choose the output folder and click the “Start Processing” button.
High Image Quality
- 96-bit (floating point) processing engine.
- Non-destructive editing.
- Get the most details and least artifacts from your raw photos thanks to modern and traditional demosaicing algorithms: AMaZE, DCB, AHD, EAHD, HPHD, IGV, LMMSE, VNG4, Mono, and Fast.
- Advanced color handling from white balance to HSV (Hue-Saturation-Value) curves, color toning, and color management including wide-gamut and soft-proofing support.
- Powerful CIE Color Appearance Model 2002 (CIECAM02) module.
- Enhanced exposure and tonality tools: tone and Lab curves, highlights and shadows tools, tone mapping (HDR-like effect), etc.
- Multiple denoising methods: luminance, chrominance (both rewritten in 2012), impulse (for salt and pepper noise) noise reduction.
- Several tools to enhance details: unsharp mask, RL deconvolution, contrast by detail levels.
- Multi-threaded algorithms for high performance (RawTherapee can utilize modern processor features, like SSE).
- Quick thumbnails load lightning-fast and are replaced later with live thumbnails.
- Batch processing: convert all the developed images at once without loading the processor while you work.
- Copy/paste editing parameters from one file to many others. Partially copying and/or pasting is also possible.
- Basic tools immediately at your hands.
- Parallel editing of multiple images in separate editor tabs, and/or all at once from the file browser.
- An optional secondary display can be used.
- Wide variety of supported cameras: almost all DSLRs and even some medium format bodies are supported software.
- Can load most raw files including 16-, 24- and 32-bit raw HDR DNG images, as well as standard JPEG, PNG (8- and 16-bit), and TIFF (8-, 16- and 32-bit logluv) images.
- Can save JPEG, PNG (8- and 16-bit), and TIFF (8- and 16-bit) images.
- Advanced control over the algorithms with many fine-tuning parameters and curves.
- Can send to GIMP or the editing tool of your choice in one click (16-bit TIFF file).
- Command-line usage besides the normal graphical interface.
- Various layouts: multiple tabs, single tab with filmstrip, vertical tab with filmstrip, dual monitor.
Freedom for Free
- RawTherapee is free and open-source software, meaning you can use it free of charge, wherever you like on whatever hardware you like, as long as you abide by the copyleft GPLv3 license. Download the source code, modify it, feel free to do what comes to mind. We believe in open software.