Process Monitor is an advanced monitoring tool for Windows that shows real-time file system, Registry, and process/thread activity. It combines the features of two legacy Sysinternals utilities, Filemon and Regmon, and adds an extensive list of enhancements including rich and non-destructive filtering, comprehensive event properties such as session IDs and user names, reliable process information, full thread stacks with integrated symbol support for each operation, simultaneous logging to a file, and much more. Its uniquely powerful features will make Process Monitor a core utility in your system troubleshooting and malware hunting toolkit.
Process Monitor is a software application designed to provide users with a more in-depth perspective of the status of their operating system. So, it can be an excellent addition to native programs such as a standard task manager. Numerous different metrics are displayed in a real-time scenario and this software is absolutely free to utilize.
In terms of the user interface, the application is quite basic and easy to understand, simply listing all detected entries in a queue, allowing you to scroll through them.
The main window of Process Monitor lists the date and time stamp for each operation, along with the program in question, the path, the result, and several other details.
In order to allow you to only look through the records that interest you, Process Monitor lets you ‘Filter’ them based on a custom set of conditions, such as ‘Architecture’, ‘Company’, ‘Duration’, ‘PID’, ‘Session’, ‘Time of Day’ and many more, including or excluding them from the main window.
By double-clicking on an entry, you can view its ‘Event Properties’ in more detail, learning more about the ‘Stack’, ‘Process’ and ‘Event’ in question, while also being able to export the information to a CSV file, for further work. Similarly, the ‘Save’ function lets you export all captured records to a log file in PML, CSV, or XML format, to a location of your choice.
The dedicated ribbon buttons let you decide whether to ‘Show Registry Activity, ‘Show File System Activity’, ‘Show Network Activity, ‘Show Process and Thread Activity’ or ‘Show Profiling Events’, enabling you to deactivate any of them just by pressing on them.
Pros And Cons
|A lightweight and effective monitoring solution for Windows||It will not actively thwart threats such as malware or spyware|
|Small file size can be beneficial to systems with little available memory||This application is not meant to be used with older operating systems|
|Operating System||Windows 7, 8, 10|
|Processor||1.6 GHz or faster|
|Cache Size||500 MB Free Space|
Process Monitor For Windows Features
Process Monitor includes powerful monitoring and filtering capabilities, including:
- More data was captured for operation input and output parameters
- Non-destructive filters allow you to set filters without losing data
- The capture of thread stacks for each operation make it possible in many cases to identify the root cause of an operation
- Reliable capture of process details, including image path, command line, user, and session ID
- Configurable and moveable columns for any event property
- Filters can be set for any data field, including fields not configured as columns
- Advanced logging architecture scales to tens of millions of captured events and gigabytes of log data
- Process tree tool shows the relationship of all processes referenced in a trace
- Native log format preserves all data for loading in a different ProcessMonitor instance
- Process tooltip for easy viewing of process image information
- Detailed tooltip allows convenient access to formatted data that doesn’t fit in the column
- Cancellable search
- Boot time logging of all operations
Official Video of Process Monitor Software For Windows
Process Monitor Software Older Versions
|3.84||August, 19th 2021||3 MB||Download|
What’s New In This Latest Version
– Process Monitor, a utility for observing in the real-time file system, Registry, and process or thread activity, receives a series of UI improvements related to the dark theme and general Windows 10 tweaks.
Process Monitor is a complex and efficient tool that can successfully identify and list a wide array of activities, enabling you to capture and save them to your PC, for further analysis, with just a few quick moves of your mouse.