Mendeley for Desktop is a comprehensive application designed to provide researchers and scientific writers with a means of publishing their work as well as searching for sources to base their studies on.
This simple utility enables you to track any research publication you might have made, but also to load files from the computer to your Mendeley account, providing you with 2 GB of online storage space. Documents can also be imported from other popular software tools.
Benefits of Mendeley for Desktop Software
Select a file to view identification info
When adding a file, the program will automatically scan and display the title, author name, and other identification details. This allows other users to work with your material and name you as a reference in their papers.
A lot of resourceful options
Mendeley for Desktop functions quite efficiently as a reference manager, enabling you to quote various writers and their work into your research, and use others’ studies as a basis to further your own.
It lets you browse through and draw from over 100 million documents, supporting the free expansion of knowledge across the Mendeley network. You can open countless PDFs in several tabs, and switch between them to compare the information.
Create notes to export and print
It is also possible to make annotations on each file that you can keep for yourself or share with others. In addition, when printing or exporting the PDFs, your notes will be transferred as well, so you can use them in your paper.
Put together bibliographies with acknowledgments
Moreover, this utility gives you the possibility to create or join groups of researchers in your field, encouraging collaboration with people all over the world by sharing and exchanging thoughts with like-minded individuals. Plus, bibliographies can be instantly generated and you have the opportunity to create seamless citations to acknowledge other researchers’ work appropriately.
Mendeley for Desktop Software Features
- All your research centralized: Securely stored and accessible across devices, you can search and sort your references, documents, and notes in one place.
- Read and annotate on the go: Use Mendeley online or offline to access your PDFs on the move.
- Reference Manager: Generate your citations and bibliography in the style of your choice, with support for Microsoft Word, LibreOffice, and BibTeX.
- Collaboration: Publicly or privately share reading lists, references or full-text articles. Create groups to tackle research assignments, share feedback and write papers.
- Organize: Import and organize PDFs from your computer, EndNote, Papers or Zotero.
- Showcasing your work: Connect with colleagues and peers to follow their research output. Showcase your published research to millions across the globe.
Other Features of this software
- Create your personal bibliographic database using Mendeley’s automatic extraction of document details and cited references from PDFs, as well as automatic retrieval of additional information from CrossRef, PubMed, ArXiv, etc.
- Read, full-text search, annotate, and highlight your PDF research papers in Mendeley’s integrated PDF viewer.
- Synchronize your bibliographic database across multiple machines, share it with colleagues, manage it online, or embed bibliographies on blogs and websites.
- Quickly cite your papers in Microsoft Word or OpenOffice Writer and create bibliographies with a single click.
- Capture citations from websites using Mendeley’s cross-browser Web Importer or via synchronization with CiteULike.
- Mendeley Web works with all major web browsers.
- Automatic extraction of document details from PDF research papers on your computer.
- Synchronize your digital library with your private Mendeley Web account and across multiple computers.
- Manage your private article library online.
- Full-text search across all your research papers.
- Playlist-like organization of your library, smart filtering and tagging of references.
- Read, add sticky notes, and highlight your research papers in Mendeley’s PDF viewer.
- Automatic PDF file renaming and sorting via Mendeley’s file organizer.
- Create and insert citations and bibliographies in Microsoft Word and OpenOffice Writer.
- Web Importer that allows easy one-click capturing of citations from web pages like PubMed, ArXiv, Google Scholar, ISI Web of Knowledge, and Springer Link, among others
Mendeley vs Zotero comparison
|Type of software||Web interface and Mendeley Desktop, which can sync with an online account.||Firefox extension (IE, Chrome, and Safari can be used with Zotero Standalone). Can sync with an online account, but web library not editable.|
|Cost||Free to all users (there are costs for upgraded storage).||Free to all users; open source (there are costs for upgraded storage).|
|Storage/maximum number of records||Unlimited on desktop (size restricted by local storage capacity); 1 GB free web space.||Unlimited on desktop (size restricted by local storage capacity); 300 MB free web storage.|
|How to get the software||Sign up for an account and download the desktop version at mendeley.com||Sign up for an account and download the Firefox extension or Standalone version at zotero.org|
|Can be used on both PC and Mac?||Yes||Yes|
|Updates||Updated on the Mendeley server.||Firefox checks by default for updates of extensions, including Zotero.|
|Export data to and from other citation management programs?||Yes||Yes|
|Direct export from databases?||Yes||Yes|
|Extracts metadata from PDFs to create citations?||Yes; queries PubMed database for matches.||Yes; queries Google Scholar database for matches.|
|Creates in-text citations, footnotes, and bibliographies in a word processor?||Yes||Yes|
|Number of citation styles||Mendeley comes with 12 of the most popular styles but allows easy download of other styles.||Zotero comes with 18 of the most popular styles.|
|Can the user edit or create citation styles?||Yes||Yes|
|Create bibliographies from citation library using a variety of data fields?||Basic keyword functionality for searching the citations library, as compared with Zotero.||You can search through your citations (only on the web version) using Publication, Author or Keywords/Tags.|
|Collaboration with other researchers||Create public and private groups. Automatic synchronization of collections among multiple computers. One private group of 3 members is free.||Create public and private groups. Automatic synchronization of collections among multiple computers.|
|Screen capture of web pages?||Yes||Yes|
Mendeley Desktop Software System Requirements
|Operating System||Windows, Mac, Linux|
|Title||Mendeley Desktop Software|
|File Size||54.8 MB|
|Operating System||Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows 10|
Taking everything into account, Mendeley Desktop is a great tool that can prove to be a reliable asset for researchers but also students who want to write their graduation thesis, as it helps them quickly find sources for their work and allows and exchange ideas with other people in a similar situation.
Download Software for Window