LMMS or Linux Multimedia Studio is intended for music aficionados and composers, providing them with a comprehensive song creation environment and an open-source alternative to other similar tools.
LMMS or Linux Multimedia Studio is a free cross-platform alternative to a commercial program like FL Studio, which allows you to produce music with your computer. This includes the creation of melodies and beats, the synthesis and mixing of sounds, and arranging of samples. This software can also connect to any of your MIDI devices and allow you to perform live, all in a user-friendly and modern interface. This software is a 100% free, open-source, community-driven project.
Produce music on your computer
by creating melodies and beats, synthesizing and mixing sounds, arranging samples and much more.
Playback instruments, samples, and plugins
with a typing or MIDI keyboard in a user-friendly and modern interface.
Bundled with ready-to-use content
from an assortment of instrument and effect plugins, presets and samples to VST and Sound Font support.
- Compose music on Windows, Linux, and macOS
- Sequence, compose, mix and automate songs in one simple interface
- Note playback via MIDI or typing keyboard
- Consolidate instrument tracks using Beat+ Bassline Editor
- Fine-tune patterns, notes, chords and melodies using Piano Roll Editor
- Full user-defined track-based automation and computer-controlled automation sources
- Import of MIDI files and Hydrogen project files
- Built-in 64-bit VST instrument support with 32-bit VST bridge (64-bit Windows)
- 16 built-in synthesizers, including emulations of Roland ® TB-303, Commodore 64 ® SID microchip, Nintendo ® NES and GameBoy, Yamaha ® OPL2 chip and more
- Embedded ZynAddSubFx: Polyphonic, multitimbral, microtonal, multi-voice additive, subtractive and pad synthesis all in one powerful plugin
- Native multisample support for SoundFont ® (SF2), Giga (GIG) and Gravis UltraSound ® (GUS) formats for high-quality instrument patches and banks
- Drop-in LADSPA plug-in support
- Drop-in VST ® effect plug-in support (Linux and Windows)
- Built-in compressor, limiter, delay, reverb, distortion, and bass enhancer
- Bundled graphic and parametric equalizers
- Built-in visualization/spectrum analyzer
Song editing, mixing and synthesizing
The integrated song editor is compatible with MIDI files and seamlessly integrates with other popular tools, such as FL Studio or Hydrogen, enabling you to import existing projects.
This software can use it to create your own melodies, mix sounds together, perform audio synthesizing and experiment with new effects and plugins. Furthermore, the built-in collection of samples can significantly ease your work.
For those who are accustomed to this type of software, using it shouldn’t pose any problem at all. All its modules are accessible from the main window, which displays the beat and bassline editor, alongside the FX mixer and the controller rack.
Additional tools and effects for seasoned musicians
This software comes with a set of valuable tools that are a real asset for more experienced musicians and composers. The triple oscillator allows volume adjustment and panning, while the integrated SF2 Player features reverb options and pitch adjusting.
There are a variety of effects that you can use in order to enhance your sounds and mixes, such as the ‘Stereo Enhancer’ or the ‘Waveshaper’. Moreover, this software encases a bass booster, a peak controller, a spectrum analyzer, a 10-band equalizer, various amplifiers for both mono and stereo signals, pitch shifters, aliasing effects, mono compression tools, echo and distortion effects, bandpass filters and so on.
A worth-trying music authoring application
This software is nothing less than other music creation suites we tested. This audio software is compatible with various standards (MIDI, VST, SoundFont, etc.), bundling an impressive feature-set within a cost-free package. It is up to you to discover them all.
- Fix build with musl C runtime library (#4825)
- Fix debug build broken in RC8 (a233291)
- Make the parsing logic safer (#4869)
LMMS Pros and Cons
|Easy to Use||Does not support independent VST preset saving|
|Packed with features||Tends to rest VST controls|
|Fast Workflow to sequence midi||Crashes from time to time|
|Provides powerful synths||Takes up a lot of memory|
|Processor||1 GHz Speed is required for CPU.|
|Internal Memory||512 MB RAM is required|
|Sound Card||2-channel sound card|
|Operating Systems||Mac & Windows|
|Software Name||LMMS 1.2.0 For Windows|
|File Size||33.4 MB|
|Requirements||Windows XP64, Windows Vista 64, Windows 7 64, Windows 8 64, Windows 10 64|
|Available Languages||English, Italian, French, Spanish, Polish, Chinese, German, Japanese|
|Date added||June 9th,2019|
|Author||LMMS Team https://lmms.io/|
Download Software For PC