Linux Lite is a ‘gateway operating system’. It was created to make the transition from Windows to a Linux based operating system, as smooth as possible. It does this by providing easy to use familiar software such as Skype, Steam, Kodi and Spotify, a free Office suite, a familiar user interface or DE (Desktop Environment) layout, and most importantly, by continuing to improve on what we already provide by listening to members of the community.
Write programs that do one thing and do it well. Linux Lite follows the Unix philosophy in regards to software selection and programming as it applies to the modern era.
Linux Lite is a free operating system based on the Ubuntu LTS series of releases. LTS stands for Long Term Support, this means each release has a support period of 5 years. This is a great basis for stability, but not only that, you only need to install once every 5 years. During that period your system will continue to receive updates.
Linux Lite is fully functional out of the box, this means that you won’t have to install extra software when you boot your computer for the first time. We believe that a computer should be ready to use straight away on the first boot after a new install. You’re going to need this kind of functionality on a daily basis when you are using your computer so we take the hassle out of trying to find the right software from the start.
Features of Linux Lite
- Desktop: The desktop is clean and simple. With easy access to the Menu, system settings and configuration, navigating around and doing your computing in Linux Lite is simple and intuitive.
- Browser: Browse the internet with Firefox, check your email with Thunderbird and upload to Dropbox for convenient cloud storage. Our Lite Software feature also gives you the option to easily install the open source version of Chrome, Chromium.
- Multimedia tool: Our free operating system offers powerful media playback ready to go. We bundle the popular VLC Media Player which takes care of a vast number of codecs so you don’t have to go searching for them. Play your collection of music, movie DVD’s and Blu-Ray’s with VLC.
- Office tools: Linux Lite includes LibreOffice. LibreOffice is Microsoft Office compatible, that means that you can open all of your existing Microsoft Office files, ready for use on Linux Lite.
- Native application: With our native applications such as Lite Tweaks, Lite Software, Lite Updates Notify and Lite Upgrade, Linux Lite equips you with all the tools you need to maintain and run your system effortlessly.
Requirements of Linux Lite
|CPU||1 GHz processor|
|RAM||768 MB RAM|
|RESOLUTION||VGA screen 1024×768 resolution|
|MEDIA||DVD drive or USB port for the ISO image|
|RAM||1024 MB RAM|
|RESOLUTION||VGA, DVI or HDMI screen 1366×768|
||DVD drive or USB port for the ISO image|