jEdit is a mature programmer’s free text editor with hundreds (counting the time developing plugins) of person-years of development behind it. To download, install, and set up the program as quickly and painlessly as possible, go to the QuickStart page.
While the tool beats many expensive development tools for features and ease of use, it is released as free software with full source code, provided under the terms of the GPL 2.0. The jEdit core, together with a large collection of plugins is maintained by a worldwide developer team.
jEdit has been designed as a simple code editor for programmers. The application is written in Java and, as such, it can be used on other operating systems without trimming down its functionality.
jEdit Free Text Editor Software For Windows Features
- Combines the best functionality of Unix, Windows, and macOS text editors.
- Runs on any operating system with a Java 1.6 or higher virtual
- machine – this includes macOS, Linux, Unix, VMS, and Windows.
- Efficient keyboard shortcuts for everything, with predefined keymaps for Emacs, IntelliJ IDEA, and macOS (5.0)
- Comprehensive online help
- Unlimited undo/redo
- Copy and paste with an unlimited number of clipboards (known as “registers”)
- Register contents are saved across editing sessions
- “Kill ring” automatically remembers previously deleted text
- Rich set of keyboard commands for manipulating entire words, lines, and paragraphs at a time
- “Markers” for remembering positions in files to return to later
- Marker locations are saved across editing sessions
- Any number of editor windows may be open, each window may be split into several areas, each area can view a different file and keep track of an independent set of buffers. Alternatively, different locations in one file can be viewed in more than one area
- Multiple open windows and split windows are remembered between editing sessions
- Rectangular selection
- Multiple selections (sometimes known as “discontinuous” or “additive” selection) for manipulating several chunks of text at once
- Word wrap
Pros And Cons
|Simple to use but powerful||This software can be slow on startup|
|Excellent search and replace feature||Spell-checker inconsistent|
|It used a lot of plugins|
|Java||At least V 1.6|
|Java Runtime Environment||At least V 1.8|
Official Video of jEdit Free Text Editor Software For Windows 10
jEdit is not designed for the average user and integrates a hefty list of customization options along with support for various edit modes. It is an all-purpose text editing utility that can be used for simple editing plain text as well as for checking various code types.