How to Sell a Domain on GoDaddy
Do you have a domain, but are experiencing poor business performance with your website?
Why not sell the domain on GoDaddy?
A domain serves as the web address that people use to locate your website, and GoDaddy offers an exceptional platform for selling domains.
This comprehensive guide will walk you through the process of selling your domain on GoDaddy, and it will also provide insights on how to determine an appropriate price for your domain.
Why You Should Consider Selling a Domain on GoDaddy
GoDaddy functions as both an internet domain auction platform and a domain registrar. As an accredited organization specializing in domain name registration, it has become a preferred destination for individuals looking to list and sell their domains on their auction platform, allowing them to generate income from these transactions.
Here are a couple of reasons why you should sell your domain name on GoDaddy:
- Exceptionally Affordable Registration Fees: With a GoDaddy Auctions membership, you can take advantage of significantly lower registration fees in comparison to other domain market platforms.
- Robust Security Measures: GoDaddy implements a comprehensive auction bidder verification process, ensuring the safety of potential buyers and sellers by deterring fraud and spammers.
- Automated Transfer Process: In the event that a listed domain name expires, it seamlessly transitions into an auction. This offers a secure and lucrative opportunity to sell a high-value domain for a competitive price.
- User-Friendly Interface: GoDaddy boasts a user-friendly Auction tool that simplifies the process of setting up your listing. Additionally, their domain name search tool provides access to essential details and characteristics within the domain marketplace.
- Negotiation Options: Buyers have the flexibility to negotiate the price of their domain with you, facilitating the discovery of a mutually agreeable middle ground.
- Convenient Mobile App: The GoDaddy mobile app allows you to monitor bids, live auctions, and past listings for added convenience.
Problems With Selling Your Domain on GoDaddy
While GoDaddy is undeniably one of the largest web hosting and domain platforms available, it does come with certain drawbacks.
There are a few reasons why GoDaddy may not be the optimal choice as a domain-selling platform for you:
- Customer Luring: Initially, GoDaddy may present attractively priced market listings, but these promotional prices are typically reserved for new users and tend to disappear from the account dashboard due to the platform’s algorithm.
- Slow Hosting: According to prominent WordPress theme developers like iThemes, GoDaddy is known for having one of the slowest hosting speeds compared to other registrars, potentially impacting the performance of your website.
- Unnecessary Fees: GoDaddy may impose charges for services such as landing page customizations, WhoIS privacy, domain renewal, and SSL certificates, which some argue should be included without additional costs. In contrast, other domain marketplace platforms often offer these services without extra fees.
- Paying for Visibility: GoDaddy’s ‘Premium Listing’ feature allows you to list your domains for increased visibility and priority, but it comes at a price. While this may benefit some users, it can lead to overcrowding and spamming in the domain marketplace, potentially hindering the experience for others.
- De-indexing: Using previously used domains for various types of businesses and niches on GoDaddy can result in reduced rankings in Google search results, leading to potential de-indexing and negatively impacting your business’s performance.
What You’ll Need to Sell a Domain on GoDaddy
To sell your domain names on GoDaddy, you’ll require three essential components:
- Domain: You must possess a domain name that you intend to list on GoDaddy. You can list your domain through their List for Sale (LFS) domain listing service, which exposes your domain to over a hundred reputable registrars and website-selling platforms.
- GoDaddy Account: You’ll need to create an account on GoDaddy and select one of their plans.
- Afternic Account: An Afternic account with a ‘payee’ profile is essential to streamline the payment process and prevent delays. GoDaddy strongly recommends using an Afternic account as it enhances the visibility of your listings, increasing the chances of quickly finding a buyer for your website.
How to Sell a Domain on GoDaddy: Step-By-Step Instructions
Selling a domain name on GoDaddy is a straightforward process. By following these simple steps, you can effectively list your domain name for sale, set up your automated system, and manage transactions and sales with ease.
Step 1: Create a GoDaddy Account
- Firstly, if you don’t already have a GoDaddy account, you can easily create one by visiting the GoDaddy Domain Portfolio and completing the registration process.
Step 2: Set Up Your Payment Method
- After logging into your GoDaddy account, navigate to ‘My Account’ at the top of the page, and then select ‘Payment Settings’.
- From there, locate and choose your preferred payment method, which can be either PayPal, a direct bank account transfer, or another option of your preference.
- Provide the required payment information to proceed.
Step 3: Choose Your Domains For Sale
- You will see a checkbox alongside your available domains for sale. These domains will be made visible to GoDaddy customers seeking an available domain name.
- Next, locate the ‘List For Sale’ button. Upon selecting it, click ‘Get Started’ to initiate the sales process.
- Please remember that if your domain is currently listed with an active ‘Ownership Protection’ feature, you will need to downgrade your protection plan after completing the sale.
Step 4: Put Up Your Price
- Now, you have the option to input your listing price. Alternatively, you can choose ‘Use Estimated Value’ to have GoDaddy generate a fair estimate for your domain.
Step 5: Create a ‘For Sale’ Landing Page (Optional)
- You have the choice to mark the checkbox, which prompts GoDaddy to replace your website’s landing page with a ‘For Sale’ notification.
- While this step is entirely optional, it’s beneficial for those who want to inform website visitors that the site is available for purchase.
Step 6: Publish!
- Finally, after you’ve set your desired domain price, click on ‘Publish Listing.’ You’ll then be presented with a prompt.
- If you don’t already have an Afternic account, you can select the ‘Create Account & Publish Listing’ button.
- Once you receive a ‘Success’ message, you’ll know that your domain has been successfully listed.
| Read More:- How To Purchase And Register A Domain From GoDaddy
Things to Consider When Selling Your Domain on GoDaddy
Hastiness is not advisable when dealing with domain names. Before making the decision to sell your domain on GoDaddy, consider these crucial tips and tricks.
1. Multiple Choices
Take your time to carefully deliberate before selecting one of GoDaddy’s plans for selling your domain. The domain name registration and hosting fees range from $4.99 per month for the ‘Basic Plan’ to $39.99 per month for the ‘Premium Plan,’ which includes features that require thoughtful consideration.
2. Auction Time
Remember that auction durations are fixed, and bids are open for just 7 days, with the highest bid winning. In cases where there are no initial bids, GoDaddy permits customers to bid on domain names that have either expired or have not been claimed yet.
3. The Name is Everything
If you stumble upon a catchy domain name at an affordable price, it could potentially yield substantial profits. Acquiring such a cool-sounding domain and subsequently reselling it can be a lucrative venture.
A domain name’s true value is influenced by several factors, often including keywords that are relevant to the content or business hosted on the website.
4. Use the Appraisal
If you’re having trouble choosing a good price for your domain, you can use GoDaddy Domain Appraisal tool to estimate a proper price range for your domain name.
5. Promote Your Domain
Even if your domain name is captivating, selling it requires effective promotion to reach potential buyers, especially when dealing with multiple domains. Enhance visibility by incorporating an informative description tagline, employing social media marketing, and utilizing other advertising techniques to garner increased interest in your domain.
Why should I consider selling my domain on GoDaddy?
GoDaddy is a reputable platform that offers affordable registration fees, robust security measures, automated transfer options, a user-friendly interface, negotiation flexibility, and a convenient mobile app for domain sellers. It’s a trusted choice for selling domains.
What are the drawbacks of using GoDaddy to sell my domain?
While GoDaddy has its advantages, it may not be the best option for everyone. Some drawbacks include promotional pricing for new users, slower hosting speeds, additional fees for services, premium listing options that may overcrowd the marketplace, and potential de-indexing of domains.
What do I need to sell a domain on GoDaddy?
To sell a domain on GoDaddy, you need three essential components: a domain name you want to sell, a GoDaddy account with a chosen plan, and an Afternic account with a ‘payee’ profile to facilitate the payment process and enhance visibility.
Can I extend the auction time for my domain on GoDaddy?
No, the auction time is fixed at 7 days, and the highest bid within that time frame wins. If there are no initial bids, GoDaddy allows customers to bid on expired or unclaimed domain names.
How do I determine the price for my domain on GoDaddy?
You can set your desired price or use GoDaddy’s ‘Use Estimated Value’ feature to get a fair estimate for your domain.
Is it essential to create a ‘For Sale’ landing page for my domain?
Creating a ‘For Sale’ landing page is optional but can be beneficial in informing website visitors that the domain is available for purchase.
What should I keep in mind before selling my domain on GoDaddy?
It’s important to consider your options carefully, evaluate GoDaddy’s pricing plans, recognize the fixed auction duration, focus on selecting catchy domain names, use the appraisal tool if needed, and promote your domain effectively to attract potential buyers.
Selling your domain on GoDaddy can be profitable, but it demands careful planning. GoDaddy offers advantages like cost-effective registration and security features, but be mindful of possible drawbacks. Make well-informed decisions on pricing, consider the fixed auction duration, choose memorable domain names, and utilize tools like the appraisal tool. Effective promotion is key to reaching potential buyers. With the right strategy, GoDaddy can be a valuable platform for domain sales and income generation.