GnuCash is an opensource and multi-platform app designed to make it simple to manage all your personal finances, but also suitable for extensive business use.
GnuCash is a finance application whose purpose is to help you keep track of your income, expenses, bank accounts, stock portfolios and other business details that put together and kept organized lead to a better management of your accounts and personal finances.
Simple interface for tracking your finances
Moreover, the GnuCash app enables you to keep track of your stocks, bank accounts, expenses and other similar information, all of that via an intuitive and easy to use interface.
Furthermore, This software is a very fast utility based on principles that designed to guarantee that you are provided at all times with accurate financial reports, as well as correctly balanced books.
Schedule everyday transactions and recurrent ones with ease
As an extra advantage, Gnucash features complete support for financial calculations and scheduled transactions of all types, thus making it a lot easier to successfully track and schedule your day to day and recurrent operations.
Built-in daily transaction manager and financial account reconciliation
In addition, by using the checkbook-style register bundled with the free application, you can comfortably enter and manage your daily banking transactions.
This application also includes the capability of helping you effortlessly and rapidly generate a wide array of financial reports and graphs, easily customizable to perfectly fit your needs.
Unlike other similar apps, GnuCash comes with an account reconciliations tool created to allow its users to compare their transactions with the bank statement with ease, in order to pinpoint errors and inaccurate entries easier.
The user interface does not impress in the visual department but it is actually practical. You can work in a multi-tabbed environment and run the utility in the command-line mode as well.
When it comes to creating an account, you can choose the currency, opt for trading accounts, insert details about your business, such as name of the company, address, contact person, phone number, and email address, as well as add information about counters, namely number and format for bills, customers, employees, jobs, orders, vendors and others.
There’s support for different accounts that you can choose from, such as payable, receivable, asset, bank, cash, credit card, currency, equity, expense, income, liability, mutual fund or stock. Additionally, accounts can be edited or deleted.
Cross-platform personal finance management utility with automated account balance
Of course, GnuCash also provides you with extended support for multiple currencies, and it will also fully balance all currency operations like deposits and withdrawals if the double-entry function is enabled.
Features of GNUCash Finance Management Software
- Checkbook-Style Register: The checkbook-style register provides a custom, convenient, and familiar interface to entering financial transactions. The register supports common checking and credit-card transactions, as well as income, stock, and currency transactions.
- Double Entry: Every transaction must debit one account and credit others by an equal amount. This ensures that the “books balance”: that the difference between income and outflow exactly equals the sum of all assets and equity.
- Reports, Graphs: GnuCash has an integrated reporting and graphing module, and comes complete with a full suite of standard and customizeable reports, such as Balance Sheet, Profit & Loss, Portfolio Valuation, and many others.
- Income/Expense Account Types: Income/Expense Account Types (Categories) allow you to categorize your cash flow. When used properly with the double-entry feature and equity accounts, these enable you to generate reports, such as Profit & Loss, that plain-vanilla systems cannot handle.
- Multiple Currencies: Different accounts can be denominated in different currencies. Currency movements between accounts are fully balanced when double-entry is enabled.
- Stock/Mutual Fund Portfolios: Track stocks individually (one per account) or in portfolio of accounts (a group of accounts that can be displayed together).
- Small Business Accounting Features: Simplify managing a small business with Customer and Vendor tracking, Invoicing and Bill Payment, and Tax and Billing Terms.
- QIF Import: Intuit Quicken QIF files can be imported, and are automatically merged to eliminate duplicate transactions.
- OFX Import: GnuCash is the first free software application to support the Open Financial Exchange protocol that many banks and financial services are starting to use.
- HBCI Support: GnuCash is the first free software application to support the German Home Banking Computer Information protocol, allowing German users to perform statement download and initiate bank transfers and direct debits.
- Improved Import Transaction Matching: The development of OFX and HBCI support has also resulted in an improved transaction matching system that more accurately recognizes duplicate transactions during file import.
- Statement Reconciliation: A reconcile window with running reconciled and cleared balances makes balancing against bank statements easy.
- Localization: Handles internationalized dates and currencies. The Gnucash menus and popups have been translated to 21 languages, including Chinese, Danish, French, German, Hungarian, Italian, Japanese, Norwegian, Polish, Portuguese, Russian, Spanish, Swedish, Turkish, Ukrainian, and British English. Documentation is available in English, French, Portuguese and Spanish.
- Transaction Finder: A powerful transaction query dialogue can help you quickly locate a needle in a haystack.
- General Ledger: Multiple accounts can be displayed in one register window at the same time. This can ease the trouble of tracking down typing/entry errors. It also provides a convenient way of viewing a portfolio of many stocks, by showing all transactions in that portfolio.
- Online Stock & Mutual Fund Quotes: Get Stock & Mutual Fund quotes from various web sites, update portfolio automatically. Additional pricing sources are added regularly.
- Check Printing: Checks may be printed in standard formats on common check stocks. A customization GUI allows custom check layouts to be developed.
- Scheduled Transactions: You can now create recurring transactions, including automatic reminders when a transaction is due, the ability to postpone a scheduled transaction without canceling it, and the ability to specify only a limited number of transactions.
- Mortgage & Loan Repayment Druid: A guided dialogue for setting up loan payments as scheduled transactions.
Other Features of GnuCash
- User-oriented interface
- Support for multiple currencies
- Invoice generator
- Vendors, customers and jobs organizer
- Double-entry accounting
- Report and graph generator
- Transaction scheduler
- Financial calculator
The application puts at your disposal a set of comprehensive reports and charts. You can build up general reports which include information about accounts, taxes, and transactions, generate assets & liabilities reports, as well as other reports related to income and expense, and business data. The reports and graphs can be printed or exported to HTML file format.
It delivers a clean and well-organized layout of your business data but you should take into account that it eats up CPU and memory, so the performance of your system may be hampered.
GnuCash provides a rich suite of features for managing your accounts and personal finances. If you want to skip the installation process, you can check out the portable version of the application.
Download Software For PC