Geany is an open-source piece of software that provides users with a lightweight and easy to use IDE (Integrated Development Environment) and programmer’s text editor utility for the GNU/Linux platform. This software is a small and lightweight Integrated Development Environment. This software was developed to provide a small and fast IDE, which has only a few dependencies from other packages. Another goal was to be as independent as possible from a special Desktop Environment like KDE or GNOME. This software only requires GTK 2 run time libraries.
This software is known to run under Linux, FreeBSD, NetBSD, OpenBSD, MacOS X, AIX v5.3, Solaris Express, and Windows. As expected from a respectable IDE, these software features have rich support for input file formats, including C, C#, CMake, Python, Fortran, Ada, PHP, Java, SQL, Shell, Perl, Lua, Matlab, XML, YAML, Scala, and Verilog to name just a few. More generally, it should run on every platform, which is supported by the GTK libraries.
Geany text editor software Features
- Syntax highlighting
- Code folding
- Symbol name auto-completion
- Construct completion/snippets
- Auto-closing of XML and HTML tags
- Call tips
- Many supported filetypes including C, Java, PHP, HTML, Python, Perl, Pascal, etc.
- Symbol lists
- Code navigation
- Build a system to compile and execute your code
- Simple project management
- Plugin interface (see Plugins)
Features at a glance
- Important features include syntax highlighting, code completion, symbol lists, support for a wide range of file types, code folding, symbol name auto-completion, call tips, code navigation, and auto-completion of HTML and XML tags.
- In addition, it features a plugin interface that allows users to extend its default functionality, a state-of-the-art build system for compiling and executing the code, construct snippets and auto-completion, simple project management, as well as auto-closing of XML and HTML tags.
- Plugins are shipped with this Software are Classbuilder for creating source files, Export for exporting files in other formats, Filebrowser for browsing the filesystem, HTML Characters for inserting HTML character entities, Split Window for splitting the window in two, and Save Actions (autosave, backup copy, instant save).
Under the hood and availability
- The program is written entirely in the C++ programming language and features a graphical user interface designed using the GTK+ 2 GUI toolkit. It is available for download only as a source archive, but it can be easily installed from the default software repositories of many GNU/Linux operating systems.
- Besides Linux, the software is known to support BSD flavors like FreeBSD, OpenBSD and NetBSD, Solaris, AIX, Mac OS X, and Microsoft Windows operating systems. Both 64-bit and 32-bit architectures are supported at this time.
Pros and Cons
|Runs quickly and smoothly||Only suitable for Linux users|
|Packed with useful tools||Can be tricky to get to grips with|
|Operating System||Windows XP / Vista / Windows 7 / Windows 8 / Windows 10|
|GTK||Group Temporal Key is required in this software|
|Title||Geany 1.35 for Windows|
|File Size||15.2 MB|
|Requirements||Windows XP / Vista / Windows 7 / Windows 8 / Windows 10|
|Available Languages||English, Italian, French, Spanish, Polish, Chinese, German, Japanese|
|Date added||Friday, January 4th,2019|