Garden Planner is a fun program that you can use to design the garden of your dreams, complete with plants, trees and other items. It can seamlessly be handled, even by less experienced users.
The interface of the application is professional-looking and intuitive; you can start a new project from scratch, or use one of the sample plans – deck and lawn, small garden with pool, hedge garden with fountain, or terrace garden.
So, you can insert objects which are found in numerous categories, such as ‘Trees’, ‘Shrubs and Plants’, ‘Flowers’, ‘Ground Cover’, ‘Buildings’, ‘Walls and Fences’, ‘Herbs’, and ‘Symbols’.
Each of these items is completely customization when it comes to the name, size, rotation, colors and locking mode.
In addition, you can use tools to design several styles of paths, garden beds, walls and fences, paving, pools and ponds, gravel and stone, edges and hoses, just to name a few. These include lines, curves, shapes and freehand.
You can rotate, resize and duplicate objects, bring items to the front or send them to the back, add labels, enable shadows, maximize the grid, as well as use the undo and redo functions. In ‘Preview’ mode, you can make a print plan by selecting which types of objects to include, along with numbers. Plus, you can export the project as a JPEG or PNG image of a custom size.
In ‘Notebook’ mode, you can view statistics of all the available items in your project, such as the total number, quantity, name, and size of shrubs and plants. This list can be saved as a plain text document or table (CSV). Other features of Garden Planner let you import images into the plan, zoom in and out, and change the measurement unit.
The graphics editing program requires a high amount of system resources, has a good response time and includes a help manual. We haven’t come across any problems during our tests; Garden Planner did not freeze, crash or pop up error dialogs. Although the app comes with plenty of features, first-time users can easily figure out how to work with Garden Planner, thanks to its intuitive layout.
Garden Planner features:
- Journal: Journal your garden’s progress with notes and photos, and setup reminders for essential tasks.
- Crop Rotation Warnings: The Garden Planner warns you where to avoid placing vegetables and herbs based on your previous years’ plans.
- Planting Reminders by Email: Twice a month the Garden Planner sends email reminders of what needs planting from your garden plans.
- Garden Objects: Almost 200 objects to add to your plan, from raised beds, fencing, paths and drip irrigation to growing season extenders such as greenhouses, row covers, tunnels and cold frames (PC/Mac Planner only).
- Varieties from Popular Seed Suppliers: Choose from thousands of varieties from many of the most popular seed suppliers around the world or add your own.