Freeplane for Mac is a free and open-source software application that supports thinking, sharing information, and getting things done at work, in school, and at home. The software can be used for mind mapping and analyzing the information contained in mind maps. Freeplane runs on any operating system that has a current version of Java installed. It can be run locally or portably from removable storage like a USB drive.
Features of Freeplane:
- Note-taking with freely positionable, unconnected nodes (post-it’s);
- Ordering ideas (nodes) into a hierarchy connected by lines (edges);
- Classifying nodes with metadata (attributes) and style types (system styles, user-defined styles, level styles);
- Grouping nodes with visual containers (clouds) and accolade (summary node);
- Connecting nodes with dynamic links, free lines (connectors) and labels;
- Automatically styling nodes (with a bubble, color, edge type, etc.) according to hierarchical level and content (conditional styles, automatic edge color, level styles);
- Structuring nodes in terms of content (text, scientific formula, calculation, icon, image and hyperlink) and presentation area (core, details, notes, attributes, images and tooltip);
- Changing views by hiding content (folding branches, filtering, a roll-up of details and hiding extensions in tooltip), finding, scrolling and navigating;
- Tasking with calendar and reminders;
- Password protecting of whole map and of individual nodes with DES encryption;
- Ease of use with inline- and dialog editors, object oriented main menu, context menu’s, multi-language support, spell checker, properties panel, drag& drop functionality, hot keys, options for batch execution, publishing, sharing and selectable preferences;
- Approximate Search (similarity search) which allows to find search terms in a text, even if there is no exact match (e.g. “setup” = “set up” or “flie” = “file”).
- Support for LaTeX formulae underneath/in nodes
- Easy extension of functionality with add-ons and homemade scripts;
- Integration with Docear academic literature suite;
- Extensive support through Wiki and Forum; and tutorial and documentation in the form of a mind map.