FreeMind is intended for editing Mind maps, XML/HTML documents, and directory trees. In the future, even network-structures will be supported such as Topic Maps (ISO). All this data is represented to the user as a Mind map. This mindmap software is achieved with a modular design, which makes it possible to easily write modules, only designing the model of the problem (the data structure), without caring for the visual representation at all. Currently, a Mind Mapping and a File Mode are implemented.
There are numerous users who prefer to use the same application to perform many tasks, rather than relying on a dedicated tool for each of their necessities. Such a comprehensive software utility is FreeMind, which can not only help people organize their thoughts and come up with efficient solutions, but it can also encrypt their projects.
Current users of FreeMind use it for the following purposes:
- Keeping track of projects, including subtasks, state of subtasks, and time recording.
- Project workplace, including links to necessary files, executables, source of information, and of course information.
- Workplace for internet research using Google and other sources.
- Keeping a collection of small or middle-sized notes with links on some area that expands as needed. Such a collection of notes is sometimes called a knowledge base.
- Essay writing and brainstorming, using colors to show which essays are open, completed, not yet started, etc, using the size of nodes to indicate the size of essays. I don’t have one map for one essay, I have one map for all essays. I move parts of some essays to others when it seems appropriate.
- Keeping a small database of something with structure that is either very dynamic or not known in advance. The main disadvantage of such an approach, when compared to traditional database applications, are poor query possibilities, but I use it that way anyway – contacts, recipes, medical records, etc. You learn about the structure from the additional data items you enter. For example, different medical records use different structure and you do not have to analyze all the possible structures before you enter the first medical record.
- Commented internet favorites or bookmarks, with colors and fonts having the meaning you want.
- Edit HTML code created by the mindmap
- Smart copy/paste function into and from the mindmap
- Export map to HTML
- Edit multiline nodes
- See folder structure as mind maps
Design anything from simple diagrams to intricate mind maps
Mind Mapping app is also suitable for brainstorming and essays, allowing you to store your ideas and organize them with ease in order to create an impressive diagram for your projects.
Moreover, you can also create and keep a small information database using the Mind Mapping app and also manage all your mind maps via a simple and user-friendly interface.
Inbuilt HTML support and exporting options
Furthermore, the Mind Mapping app includes a feature which permits the following of HTML link stored in the nodes and also provides the ability to export your mind maps to HTML.
In addition, the Mind Mapping app comes bundled with smart drag and drop, smart copying and pasting, as well as a Find feature, designed to help you search and find elements included within your mind-maps.
Mind Mapping app also enables you to edit long multi-line nodes, decorate nodes with icons, fonts, and colors or browse the files on your computer, seeing the folder structure as mind maps.
Support for a vast array of languages and inbuilt editor for mind map source code
The main window of this app, you can add a wide variety of items to your mind maps, like notes or attachments. This Mind Mapping app also features an HTML code view mode which gives you quick access to your mind map’s easily editable source code.
As an added bonus, this Mind Mapping app comes with support for colored texts, so that you can easily create colorful mind maps when needed. On top of that, you can also use multiple fonts, thus ensuring that your projects will stand out.
Additionally, This Mind Mapping app is a multi-language utility designed to provide complete and extensive support for more than 10 different languages.
- Executing “sort-child” twice sorts in the opposite direction.
- calendar markings for regular events
- Bugfix: not-well formed HTML pastes are converted to plain text
Pros and Cons
|Easy to add subjects and related items||Annotation bar is very crowded|
|Many annotations to choose from|
|Free to use|
|Framework||JAVA 1.4.2 OR LATER|
|Operating System||Mac OS X|
|Software Name||FreeMind For Mac V 1.1.0|
|File Size||87.8 MB|
|Requirements||Mac OS X|
|Available Languages||English, Italian, French, Spanish, Polish, Chinese, German, Japanese|
|Date added||Thursday, February 11th,2016|