Serviio is a free DLNA media server. It allows you to stream your media files (music, video or images) to renderer devices (e.g. a TV set, Bluray player, games console or mobile phone) on your connected home network. There is also a paid-for Pro edition which further enhances the possibilities of sharing content in your connected household.
It is a reliable software solution that can be used to easily stream multimedia contents within your home network, to any device you prefer. You simply need to make sure you have Java installed onto the host computer, then proceed and also install Serviio.
Serviio works with many devices from your connected home (TV, Playstation 3, Xbox 360, smartphones, tablets, etc.). It supports profiles for particular devices so that it can be tuned to maximize the device’s potential and/or minimize lack of media format playback support (via transcoding). It is based on Java technology and therefore runs on most platforms, including Windows, Mac, and Linux (incl. embedded systems, e.g. NAS).
Once you manually start the UPnP/DLNA server, Serviio will automatically look for and detect compatible devices, then allow you to choose the one you want to use (depending on the target device, the profile can be customized so as to maximize the app’s functions or to ensure all multimedia files can be correctly played).
The next step is to select the folders that you want to share and monitor for multimedia files, as well as specify the type of files you want to share for each directory, be they audio tracks, videos, or images. You can also enable Serviio to retrieve description metadata for your files, then customize the type of information that should be available when the contents are streamed.
Serviio For DLNA Media Server Features
- Streams audio, video (sd & HD) and image files in their native format or transcoded in real-time
- Streams content from online sources, like RSS, feeds, live audio/video streams, web page content
- Includes a plugin system to support streaming from non-trivial online sources
- Supports most known playlist formats
- Supports subtitles
- Automatically updates the media library when you add/update/remove a media file or a metadata file
- Supports raw camera images
- A wide array of localized library browsing options
- Supports different editable renderer profiles
- Supports automatic renderer detection and per-ip profile assignment
- Extracts metadata of your media files the way you want it, incl. Embedded metadata tags, local metadata files, online metadata sources (in preferred language), xbmc, swiss center, mymovies
- Supports video thumbnails, cd covers, DVD posters, etc.
- Categorizes video files into the movie and/or series and marks last viewed episodes of a series
- Integrates with trakt.Tv
- Alexa skill available
- Available for Windows, Linux, and Mac (with the possibility to run the server part on one platform and console on another)
- Samsung TVs and Bluray players (supports additional features, e.g. subtitles)
- Sony TVs and Bluray players
- Panasonic TVs
- Playstation 3, Playstation 4
- Xbox 360, Xbox One
- LG TVs and Bluray players
- Toshiba TVs
- Sharp TVs
- Philips TVs
- WDTV Live (supports subtitles)
- Oppo BDP-83
- DirecTV DVR
- Pure Flow devices
- Android phones, iOS phones
Supported media files
- Audio: MP3( .mp3), MP2 (.mp2), Windows Media Audio (.wma), WMA Lossless (.wma), AAC (.m4a), OGG (.ogg, .oga), FLAC (.flac), Apple Lossless ALAC (.mp4), Wawpack (.wv), Musepack (.mpc), Monkey’s Audio (.ape), DSF (.dsf), WAV (.wav),
- Video: MPEG-1 (.mpg, .mpeg), MPEG-2 PS (.mpg, .mpeg, vob, mod), MPEG-2 TS (.ts, .m2ts), MPEG-4 (.mp4, m4v, mov), AVI (.avi, .divx), Windows Media Video (.wmv, .asf), Matroska (.mkv), Flash (.flv, .f4v), DVR-MS (.dvr, .dvr-ms), WTV (.wtv), OGG (.ogv, .ogm), 3GP (.3gp, .3g2), RealVideo (.rm, .rmvb), WebM (.webm)
- Image: JPEG (.jpg, .jpeg), GIF (.gif), PNG (.png), RAW (.arw, .cr2, .crw, .dng, .raf, .raw,. rw2, .mrw, .nef, .nrw, .pef, .srf, .orf)
- Playlist: PLS (.pls), M3U (.m3u, .m3u8), ASX (.asx, .wax., .wrx), WPL (.wpl)
- Subtitles: SubRip (.srt, .txt), SSA/ASS (.ssa, .ass), MicroDVD (.sub, .txt), SAMI (.smi), VTT (.vtt), MOV open text
You can also add online sources to be streamed to your devices, as long as you specify its type (online RSS/Atom feed, Live stream, or Web resource), enter the source URL, and adjust the display name. This way you can be sure you get to enjoy your preferred podcast or TV program even if your PC is currently used by another user.
How to set up a DLNA Media Server using Serviio software
By setting up your computer as a Digital Living Network Alliance® (DLNA) server, you can stream media, such as music, photos, or video, over your network to a DLNA®-supported device. DLNA devices include certain televisions, Blu-ray Disc® players and Blu-ray Disc Home Theater systems, HiFi component systems, and computers. Once the DLNA server and device are set up and connected properly, the device can access media from the Apple® iTunes® application and iPhoto® libraries, as well as other locations on the computer.
Follow the procedure below to set up the Serviio® software:
- The computer and the DLNA device must be connected to the same network for this procedure to work.
- If you are using a third-party firewall or security software, you may have to configure it to allow network access for the Serviio software.
- Using a computer, download and install the latest Serviio software from below download button.
- Once the installation is complete, click Start on the computer and select Programs.
- Select Start Serviio.
To view pictures, movies or to listen to music on a DLNA-capable Internet video device, follow these steps:
- Connect your Internet video device to an active Internet connection.
- From the menu of the device, select either Music, Movies, or Photos.
- Select the desired server to access the content.
Pros And Cons of Serviio For DLNA Media Server
|The installation is very simple||Sometimes it has connection problems|
|Constant updates||To work it is necessary to disconnect the firewall from the computer|
|Memorize the last content played||Not compatible with all manufacturers|
|Enhance the entertainment experience||Need java|
|Operating System||Windows XP, Windows Vista, Windows 7/8/10|
|Memory||512 MB of memory or more|
|Storage Space||150 MB of disk space (plus additional space for storing the media library), when using transcoding make sure there is at least 1GB free (depending on the original file size)|
|Java Version||Java 8|
|Software Name||Serviio Software For Windows V 2.1|
|File Size||124 MB|
|Languages||English, Italian, French, Spanish, Polish, Chinese, German, Japanese|
Serviio for DLNA media server can come in handy to all those who feel they are wasting their multimedia files on their computers and want to broadcast them to other devices they use more regularly. A paid license will be required if you want to use the application and all its functions indefinitely.
Download Software For PC