LAME MP3 Encoder for Windows is an open-source audio encoder for Windows PC. The encoder is not a graphical application that you can double-click, but a command-line tool, usable from the Terminal application (which lives in the utility folder inside the Applications folder) or other graphical applications.
Nowadays, everyone uses their computer to play their preferred songs, along with music video clips or movies, and due to the countless sources they can come from, their formats vary just as much. In order to make sure they are able to view these items, users need to install codecs or codec packs which are meant to enhance their favorite multimedia players. Such a codec is LAME ACM Codec.
This package is, in fact, the ACM version of LAME MP3 Encoder, a well-known audio codec installed by users all over the world. ACM stands for ‘Audio Codec Manager,’ and allows users to integrate the functionality of LAME MP3 Encoder into VirtualDub, FlasK MPEG, and ac3dec.
In other words, users are not forced to replace their familiar multimedia tools in order to benefit from the functions of this codec – they can watch their videos without worrying that the audio is not correctly rendered.
LAME MP3 Encoder Features
- Many improvements in quality in speed over ISO reference software. See history.
- MPEG1,2 and 2.5 layers III encoding.
- CBR (constant bitrate) and two types of variable bitrate, VBR and ABR.
- Encoding engine can be compiled as a shared library (Linux/UNIX), DLL, Directshow filter or ACM codec (Windows).
- Free-format encoding and decoding.
- GPSYCHO: a GPL’d psycho acoustic and noise shaping model.
- Powerful and easy to use presets.
- Quality better than all other encoders at most bitrates.
- Fast! Encodes faster than real-time on a PII 266 at the highest quality mode.
- MP3x: a GTK/X-Window MP3 frame analyzer for both .mp3 and unencoded audio files.
There are numerous third-party applications that are based on ACM technology, especially those that save their audio streams to WAV format. The sole inconvenience resides in the fact that the output files since they come with WAV headers are not recognized by various players or decoders, so developers need to find a workaround and remove these headers.
|Operating System||Runs on Windows 95, 98, ME, NT, 2000.|
|Memory||32 MB RAM.|
|Storage Space||10 MB hard drive space available.|
|Video Card||Video card running at 16-bit or 32-bit color.|
|Software Name||Lame MP3 Encoder Software For Windows V 3.100|
|File Size||1.38 MB|
|Languages||English, Italian, French, Spanish, Polish, Chinese, German, Japanese|
|Developer||The LAME Project|
The installation procedure gets a little bit more complicated in the case of x64 platforms, but the proper steps are described in the documentation included in the package.
To sum up, although it is not visible as an application, the features and functions of LAME MP3 Encoder software can be noticed when listening to music or enjoying the audio of a movie.
Download Software For PC