Cocos Creator is a complete package of game development tools and workflow, including a game engine (based on Cocos2d-x), resource management, scene editing, game preview, debug and publish one project to multiple platforms.
Cocos Creator is a powerful game development environment built on top of the popular Cocos2D-js framework. Having said that, the full-featured app makes it possible for you to build both 2D or 3D games for the popular trinity of mobile OSes, iOS, Android, and Windows Phone.
Cocos Creator Features
- All-in-one editor: Includes an all-in-one, extensible editor that simplifies resource management, game debugging and previewing, and multi-platform publishing. It allows designers to deeply participate in the game development process, making quick edits and iterations during the game development cycle. Support for Windows and Mac systems.
- 2D and 3D: Supports both 2D and 3D game development with features that meet the specific needs of your various game types. Deep optimization of the editor experience and engine performance of pure 2D games and built-in support for middleware such as Spine, DragonBones, TiledMap, Box2D, and Texture Packer.
- Open-source engine: Cocos Creator’s engine is completely open-source, and retains the advantages of Cocos2d-x which include high performance, customizable, easy to debug, easy to learn, and small package size.
- Efficient workflow: Cocos Creator prefabs are pre-configured game objects that provide an efficient and flexible workflow that allows designers to confidently create their work without having to worry about time-consuming mistakes.
- UI: The built-in UI system allows you to create user interfaces quickly and intuitively.
- Custom tools: You can extend the editor functionality to match your team’s workflow with a variety of tools you need. Create or add custom plugins or find the resources you need in the plugin store. There are hundreds of examples, tools, and plugins in the plugin store that can help you speed up your project.
The application is available on both Windows and macOS, but there’s worth pointing out that, in order to run it on the first, you need to make sure that Microsoft Visual Studio is present.
Getting started with Cocos Creator also means that you will have to log in using your official account credentials. Please note that when you run the app for the first time, you might be prompted to provide Cocos Creator with a Firewall extension.
Even though the application’s interface is not what you would call outdated, it’s by no means a modern one either, especially when you take into consideration the multitude of buttons (some of which are tiny, we might add) that are on display.
You have to download a sample project from the developer’s website and thoroughly go through the comprehensive documentation or even try out some of the provided tutorials. You should also know that you can import your projects from Cocos Studio.
Evidently, the main highlight of the application is the scene editor that allows you to thoroughly design the environment for your game, followed closely by the built-in animation editor, which, as its name clearly states, allows you to create fluid animations for your game characters and scenes with the least amount of effort.
The layout is quite similar to other tools of this sort, with a scene graph on the upper left part of the main window, an assets panel on the lower-left, a scene editor in the middle, a Console/Timeline panel underneath it, and a Properties section on the extreme right.
It provides an innovative, easy to use toolsets such as the UI system and Animation editor. The toolset will be expanding continuously and quickly, thanks to the open editor extension system.
Cocos Creator is a full-featured and quite powerful environment that packs all the necessary tools for designing games for the most popular mobile platforms and, with a bit of patience and some time spent reading the documentation, even beginner can get the hang of it.
The system environment that Cocos Creator supports is:
|Operating System||Windows: Windows 7/8/10
Mac: macOS OS 10.9 and higher version.
|Software Name||Cocos Creator Software For Windows V 2.3.4|
|File Size||85.3 MB|
|Developer||Chukong Technologies Inc.|
It’s somewhat simplistic animation editor and other features thoroughly recommend it for developers who mostly want to build commercial and lightweight Indie games, although we are not saying that Cocos Creator can’t be used for something better.