Cobian Backup is a reliable software solution designed to back up your files either on the local computer or onto another system in the network. There are multiple backup modes supports, including full, differential, incremental and dummy, with dedicated settings for each of them.
But first, a few words on the interface. Although the application is supposed to address such an important task, Cobian Backup is pretty intuitive and sports a well-organized look.
It shows all details of a new task straight in the main window, but also offers access to all of its features with just a single click. Setting up a new task is very easy; the app enables you to configure the files or folders you wish to backup, as well as to enable Volume Shadow Copy, use file attribute logic or create separate backups using timestamps.
You have to specify the source and the destination, and, if you wish, enable the scheduler and provide the days of the week, date and time to perform the operation. You also have the option to use archives and choose 7z or ZIP compression, along with password protection, encryption, and split settings. Last but not least, you can configure file exclusions and other tasks to be performed before the backup begins.
Cobian Backup boasts a very rich settings menu, with configuration options regarding the engine, compression, functionality, visuals, and FTP. In addition, the application supports remote backup and comes with a dedicated tool to remove old backups and to show the backup history.
Cobian Backup Features:
- Zip64 for zip files larger than 2 GB
- Strong encryption: Supported methods are Blowfish (128 bit), Rijndael (128 bit) and DES (64 bit)
- Open plugin architecture to allow the program’s enhancement
- 3 different methods to copy files, if the main method fails, 2 more methods will be used.
- Interprocess communication can be done using TCP/IP. This allows better communication between the program parts AND the program can be administrated from another machine anywhere in the world.
- Backup to multiple destinations
- Backup history is displayed
- Zip files can now be split
- Remote backup
- Automatically remove old backups
- The application can be used as a command line utility. No separate command line program is needed