Classic Shell is free software that improves your productivity, enhances the usability of Windows and empowers you to use the computer the way you like it. It has a customizable Start menu and Starts button for Windows 7, Windows 8 and Windows 10, it adds a toolbar for Windows Explorer and supports a variety of smaller features. Classic Start Menu is a clone of the original start menu, which you can find in all versions of Windows from 95 to Vista.
Classic Shell is an Open-Source application (initially released under an Open Source license, freeware and again Open-Source) that allows you to restore a set of features (such as the classic start menu, start button, toolbar for Windows® Explorer, etc.) that were removed from the newer versions of Microsoft® Windows® OS.
Although the primary purpose is to offer you access to missing features (available on older Windows® versions) through its interface, this program does not modify your Windows® registry settings or replace your original OS files. Here you can check the main features (new features are being added and improved with each new version: check release history here):
Trademark Note 1: Microsoft®, Windows® and other product names are either registered trademarks or trademarks of Microsoft Corporation in the United States and/or other countries.
Classic Shell Features:
- Highly customizable start menu with multiple styles and skins.
- Quick access to recent, frequently-used, or pinned programs.
- Find programs, settings, files and documents.
- Start button for Windows 10, Windows 8, Windows 7.
- Toolbar and status bar for Windows Explorer.
- Caption and status bar for Internet Explorer.
- Choose between “Classic style” (or classic with two columns) and “Windows 7” styles.
- Drag and drop to organize your applications
- Show “Favorites,” expand Control Panel, etc.
- The show recently used documents; you can customize the number of documents that you want to display
- The program is available in 35 languages.
- The original start menu in Windows® is not disabled; you can launch it using “Shift+Click” on the start button.
- Support for both 32-bit and 64-bit operating systems.
- Support for 3rd party skins (you can customize your skin).
- You can show, search and launch Windows Store® apps in Windows® 8.
- Customize the start button etc.