ClamXav is a free malware scanner for Mac OS X. It uses the very popular ClamAV open source antivirus engine as a back end and has the ability to detect both Windows and Mac threats. This is an anti-malware solution for macOS which uses the popular ClamAv antivirus engine and is designed to detect and remove all kinds of threats (for both Mac and Windows) such as viruses, trojans, phishing, and spyware.
ClamXav for macOS can be setup up as passive or active: scan only the files you tell it to or your entire hard drive, whichever you prefer; you can also choose to activate Sentry to monitor your hard drive and scan new files as they arrive.
The user interface is quite straightforward and provides access to all available features in a streamlined fashion, giving you access to the toolbar, source list, infection list, console, and status area quite easily.
Before scanning for viruses on your Mac, users are strongly advised to update their virus definitions from ClamXAV’s website, a procedure that can be performed manually from the toolbar, via the ClamXAV Sentry, or automatically by specifying the update interval in the app’s preferences dialog.
Moreover, the ClamXAV Software is an important component of the antivirus, as it provides quick access to some of the most important functions, displaying real-time visual notifications about what ClamXAV is doing.
ClamXAV’s menu bar item will automatically change to indicate the antivirus’ status: it grays out if no folders are watched, it gets black if folders are watched, and it flashes if it is scanning for viruses or updating definitions.
Another worth mentioning feature is ClamXAV’s ability to monitor specific folders for incoming threats which means that whenever you copy files to a location (such as your Mac’s Desktop), ClamXAV will instantly start scanning for malware.
In addition, via the Preferences window, you can change the behavior of the antivirus by configuring the audio alerts, setting up a quarantine folder, exclude certain files from scanning, scheduling virus scans and definition updates, or manage the ClamXAV Sentry component.
|Operating System||Mac OS X 10.10 and higher version|
ClamXav Malware Scanner Software For Mac Features
- Easy to use: Clearly lists infected files. Save your favorite scan locations. Free virus definition updates.
- Versatile: Exclude files or whole disks/folders. Quarantine or Trash files with one click. Schedule scans and updates.
- Powerful: Use the bundled ClamAV engine or bring your own installation. Monitor your disk with ClamXav Sentry.
Video Tutorial of ClamXam Free Antivirus For Mac
What’s New In ClamXav Antivirus Latest Version
ClamXAV 3.2 Build 8776
- Now runs fully natively on M1 Macs
- New Big Sur-style app icon for ClamXAV
- Considerably reduced CPU usage
- Minor visual tweak for macOS 11 Big Sur
- Fixed intermittent issue with the reports window flashing
- Removed minimize button on Preferences window for compliance with Apple’s HIG
- Added French localization for the “Scan with ClamXAV” item in the Services menu
- Miscellaneous fixes and improvements
In conclusion, ClamXAV is a reliable anti-malware solution for macOS that manages to provide a strong layer of security over your Mac’s data with a large set of powerful features and a user-friendly interface.