How to Change the Google Maps Voice on iPhone And Android
You may change the language of the Google Maps voice that offers you directions.
No longer do people have to figure out how to get around in a new town or use paper maps to plan a road trip. Instead, your phone uses GPS, mobile data, and WiFi to help you get to where you want to go.
GPS has made it much easier to find your way around, but it’s still a good idea to practice navigation without GPS or your phone from time to time. You don’t want to rely on your phone’s GPS navigation so much that you can’t get around without it.
How do I change my language on GPS?
Google Maps is the best voice navigation app for your phone because it lets you save offline maps to your device and helps you find your way even in the most remote places or while you’re hiking. Voice navigation lets you get around without having to constantly look at your phone and you can be focused on your way.
Google Maps does let you change Google maps language used for turn-by-turn directions, though, so you can make the app more to your comfort and liking.
Let’s look at how to change the voice settings in Google Maps on Android and iOS (iPhone and iPad), starting with Android.
- Do you know how Google Maps works?
- Read more on how to exit navigation on Google Maps
- View, edit or delete your Google Maps search history on Android and iPhone
- How to add or change locations in Google Maps
- Book your cab on Uber or Lyft with the help of Google assistant
Can the Google Maps voice be changed?
Yes, but only to a certain extent. The only way to alter the voice of Google Maps is as described above. You can alter the language on Android, but not the gender. If you are a native English speaker, you can choose from five distinct accents.
All of them will use the same female Google Maps voice, but with a minor accent.
The Google Assistant has its own voice and is regarded as a distinct entity. The Google Assistant has access to additional voices, and you can modify the voice’s gender.
You can change Google Maps’ voice language in-app
Google maps voice change through the app’s settings, do the following:
- Tap the app icon on your tablet or phone to open Google Maps.
- Tap the icon for your Profile. It is in the right-most part of the screen, near the top.
Next, find the Settings tab and tap on it.
- Next, locate the Settings tab and hit it.
- Once the Settings section is opened, locate the Navigation settings option and press it.
- Tap the Voice Selection tab in the Navigation Settings area. Google Maps indicates the presently selected voice with a checkmark.
- You will see a list of all languages and their regional variants. Select the language you wish to use.
- Tap the Back button next. This link will return you to the map.
- Tap on the Go button in the lower-right section of the screen.
- Enter your current position in the upper text box.
- Enter the destination in the text box located below.
- Start by pressing the Start button. Google Maps will begin guiding you to your location using the newly selected voice and language.
Reinstall the app to change voice on Google Maps
Google Maps pulls its language settings from the device’s language settings upon installation. Therefore, instead of modifying the app’s voice through the in-app settings, you can uninstall the program and modify the language settings on your mobile device. Let’s observe how that operates.
- Delete the Google Maps application from your mobile device. If you cannot erase it by tapping and holding the icon, you must use the Google Play Store to uninstall it.
- Launch the Settings application next from the Home screen.
- Find the System section by navigating downward. Tap on it.
- Once the System section has opened, depending on the device, select the Language or Language & Input option.
- Tap the Language and region tab afterward.
- The list of all available languages will be displayed. Tap the item you want to choose it.
- To exit Settings, press the Home button.
- Tap on the Play Store’s icon to open it.
- Look for the Google Maps application.
- Select Install or Update from the menu.
- The language options for your freshly installed Google Maps will be retrieved from the device’s settings.
How do I change Google Maps’ voice on my Android phone?
Google Maps is already on Android devices, along with Google Assistant, Chrome, the Play Store, and more. On an Android phone or tablet, users can change the voice on Google maps navigation from within the app or by reinstalling the app.
The first way is easier, while the second way requires you to change the language settings on your phone. Let’s look at how to change the voice used by Google Maps on an Android phone or tablet.
If you have an Android device, follow these steps:
- Launch the Google Maps application.
- Open the Menu by tapping the three lines in the corner.
- Scroll to the bottom and choose “Settings.”
- Scroll the page and tap “Navigation settings.” from the options in the bottom
- Click “Voice Selection.”
- Choose the language you wish to hear when Google Maps gives you directions.
How Do I Change the voice of Google Maps on iPhone?
Users of the iPhone and iPad, however, are unable to change the voice of Google Maps navigation from within the program. However, doing the same thing within the iPhone or iPad settings is simple.
Here’s how to alter the voice of Google Maps on an iPad or iPhone (iOS):
- From the Home screen, open the Settings app. Then, select the General option.
- Within the General section, select the Language & Region tab..
- Tap iPhone Language or iPad Language, depending on the device.
- Choose a language or a language and a dialect (for example, Australian English). Use the search box at the top to instantly find the language of your choice.
- If you want to change the language, the gadget will prompt you. Change to…
To test your new language and dialect options, open Google Maps. Enter a location and then press Go to begin the voice instructions.
Voice navigation can be done in a number of different languages and dialects on both Android and iOS devices. On Android, you change the language and dialect from within Google Maps. On iPhones and iPads, you change the language and dialect for the whole device, including Google Maps, from the general settings.
Can I change the gender of Google Maps’ voice?
Regrettably, no. Google does not offer its consumers a wide variety of customization options. While most users are accustomed to being able to change something as simple as the gender of digital assistants, Google does not provide this option for Maps.
Can I alter the Google Maps voice using the Google Voice Assistant?
No. Google allows customers to personalize various parts of the Google Voice Assistant but not Google Maps for whatever reason. If you elect to modify the Voice Assistant’s gender or accent, the adjustments will have no effect on Google Maps.
Why am I unable to receive audio directions on Google Maps?
Verify that you have not silenced the audio directions. Also, ensure that the volume level of your device is sufficient for hearing.
Can custom speech packs be added to Google Maps?
You cannot add additional navigation voices to Google Maps. However, the Google Maps voice can be changed as described above.
Who speaks within Google Maps?
Google Maps are narrated by Karen Jacobsen.
Do you know any tips and tricks for making Google Maps work the way you want it to? If so, please tell us about it in the comments section below!
Comments are closed.