Calibre is software to manage your Ebook collection. This application allows you to view, convert and organize e-books in a simple manner. It acts as an e-library and also allows for format conversion, news feeds to eBook conversion, as well as e-book reader sync features and an integrated e-book viewer.
The user interface of the program is simple to use. You can add e-books (from single or multiple directories) by using the file browser or the “drag and drop” function. You can also add books by entering their ISBN code.
In the tag browser you can sort e-books according to their author, language, series, format, publisher, rating, as well as news, tags and identifies.
So, you can download or edit metadata individually or in bulk, get covers, merge e-book records, convert e-books individually or in bulk (in the XML, CSV, EPUB, MOBI and other formats), as well as send e-books to devices.
You can also use the “Fetch news” feature to download news from websites and convert them into a preferred e-book format. It is possible to schedule news downloads, add a custom sources or download all scheduled news sources as well.
Calibre allows you to create libraries and toggle between them, as well as rename, delete, backup and restore libraries, connect to iTunes, start a content server, search and sort e-books, and more.
Calibre uses a high amount of system resources and contains a comprehensive help file. It didn’t freeze or crash during our tests. Calibre is easy to use and provides a great solution for viewing and organizing e-books in various formats.
You may like to read books online from the top 12 websites for free.
Feature of Calibre
- Calibre is primarily an ebook cataloging program. It stores your ebook files in a database along with easily editable metadata describing each book. It is designed around the concept of the logical book, i.e. a single entry in the database that may correspond to ebooks in several formats.
Calibre support sorting the books in its database by
- Size (Max size of all formats)
It also supports extra metadata fields that can be searched on
- Series: The series that a book belongs to
- Comments: A general-purpose field that can be used to describe the book, add notes on it, etc.
- Tags: A flexible system to categorize books. You can tag any book with any custom tag to indicate subject, read status, category, etc.
- The database view also supports filtering by searching on the metadata. You can perform advanced searching on individual metadata fields by clicking the advanced search button to the left of the search bar.
- The books in the database can be saved to disk using the “Save to disk” button. All selected books are saved in a folder structure organized by Author and Title.
- You can fetch metadata for a book based on its ISBN number or its title/author, instead of manually entering the metadata. You can also fetch a cover image based on the ISBN number.
- Calibre supports conversion from (HTML, LIT, RTF, TXT, PDF(simple text+few images)) to the SONY ebook reader format LRF. A graphical interface to the conversion software can be accessed by clicking the “Convert E-books” button.
- The command-line access is via the command any2lrf. The conversion is very powerful and supports advanced typesetting features like tables, drop caps, inline images, embedded fonts, etc. Full documentation of the features of the conversion software can be found at Conversion to LRF.
Syncing to E-reader Devices:
- Calibre has a modular device driver design that makes adding support for different e-reader devices easy. At the moment, it has support for the SONY PRS 500/505. Syncing supports updating metadata on the device from metadata in the library and the creation of collections on the device based on the tags defined in the library view. If an book has more than one format available, calibre automatically chooses the best format when uploading to the device.
- Calibre can automatically fetch news from a number of websites, format the news into a ebook and upload to a connected device. At the moment there is support for generating LRF ebooks. Supported news sites are:
- New York Times
- The BBC
- The Economist
- The news fetching subsystem has a modular design, which makes it easy to add support for more sites. If you are interested in adding support for a site, read the User Manual. Once you have created a recipe, consider sharing it with other users by attaching it to User Recipes.
- Calibre has an inbuilt viewer that can display LRF format files, so you can look over a recent conversion before uploading it to the reader. It supports all the features of the LRF format, except drop caps.
Official Video Intro calibre E-book Management
calibre E-book Management Older Versions
- Foxit Reader
- Moon+ Reader