AxCrypt is a software that enables you to easily encrypt files and folders. It’s essential when you are sharing your computer with multiple users and want to maintain your privacy.
Since this is an ad-supported product, you should be careful when installing AxCrypt. It offers to download a third-party component that it doesn’t need in order to work properly.
The tool places itself in the Explorer context menu, so you can access it by right-clicking a file or folder.
So, you can encrypt files by entering a passphrase and optionally a key-file, as well as set AxCrypt to remember this setting for decryption and to use it as default for encryption.
In addition, you can encrypt a copy of a file and optionally convert it to the EXE format, clear the passphrase memory, create a key-file (in the TXT format), as well as shred and delete a file. You can also change the interface language.
After encryption is applied to files, they receive an “AXX” format (appended to the file name), along with the AxCrypt icon. So, other users cannot even view the thumbnails of your files (which is a great solution in case of images, for instance).
AxCrypt can take a long while to encrypt a file (depending on its size) but it uses a very low amount of system CPU and resources. However, other processes clearly run slower during this time.
No errors have occurred during our tests. Unfortunately, AxCrypt doesn’t support drive encryption and there is no help file available. Otherwise, we strongly recommend it to all users.
- Secure any number of files using strong encryption.
- Right-click integration with Windows Explorer makes AxCrypt the easiest way to secure individual files in Windows.
- Double-click integration makes it as easy to open, edit and save secured files as it is to work with files without security.
- Share keys with others and allow secured files to be opened by other AxCrypt users with their own password.
- Secured folders will automatically secure files as required on demand.
- Multilingual support for English, Swedish and Spanish