AVG AntiVirus for Mac is a free basic antivirus program that protects against phishing to a moderate degree. Your Mac is kept safe from harmful threats like viruses, malware, and phishing attacks thanks to the real-time protection offered by AVG AntiVirus Free.
Before being downloaded, opened, run, modified, or saved, scanning tools examine the files and programmes to determine whether or not they pose a security risk.
AVG has recently released a paid version of their antivirus software for Mac computers called AVG Internet Security for Mac. This version includes additional security features.
As a result of Avast’s acquisition of AVG, the two companies’ product lines have converged, and many of the same components can now be found in both of their security suites.
AVG Free Antivirus For MacOS
AVG Antivirus for Mac is a small application that comes with a modern, fairly intuitive interface and uses a powerful security engine to detect different types of threats. This software does not focus only on Mac viruses: it is also able to deal with malicious code or spyware threats that have been developed for the PC or for mobile devices.
It continues to deliver essential free antivirus protection with the launch of AVG AntiVirus Free. It goes beyond simply detecting and removing viruses on your Mac by blocking infected links as you browse, checking files before they’re downloaded, and helping protect your personal data online and on your Mac with enhanced privacy features. AVG has improved the core engine and its accuracy and included a new cloud-based detection method. And because security is just as important as usability.
AVG Antivirus For Mac Download Features
- Exceptional anti-virus protection: Anti-virus protection that automatically updates to protect you from continually evolving threats. As hackers develop new techniques, AVG’s research labs are constantly processing web data to provide new defenses to keep you automatically protected.
- Gaming and surfing without interruptions: Get on with your surfing and gaming without interference. Scans operate when you are away from your Mac, and it also knows when you are gaming and ensures that the security operates in the background only, leaving you free to play.
- Safe downloads: Files are checked before you download them without you having to do a thing. AVG Anti-Virus will also protect you when exchanging files through popular instant messaging like MSN and Yahoo.
- Surf and search the web safely: You want to search and surf, but you don’t ever want to go to any infected websites. AVG helps you out by clearly alerting you to threats and keeping you clear of them.
- Share your life on Facebook, not viruses: With AVG protecting your system, you can chat and message your friends on Facebook and other social networks with the knowledge that each web page and the link are checked for safety. You won’t pick up a malicious link from your friends – and you won’t send one either!
- Free support from techies that care: AVG understands the need to stay safely connected to the web no matter your geographical location or time of day – the mission is to provide ongoing peace of mind on a 24/7 basis.
Pros And Cons
|Slick OS X interface||This software may slow down your Mac|
|Easy to use|
|Scanning is quick|
|Integrates with AVG Zen|
|Operating System||MacOS OS X 11, 10.15, 10.14, 10.13Apple macOS 10.12.x (Sierra), Apple Mac OS X 10.11.x (El Capitan)|
|Processor||Intel-based Mac computer with a 64-bit processor, Apple Silicon Macs w/ M1 chips|
|Memory||512 MB RAM or above (1 GB RAM or higher preferred)|
|Storage Space||750 MB minimum free hard disk space|
|Internet Connection||Stable internet connection to download, activate, and maintain application updates and an antivirus database|
|Display Resolution||Standard screen resolution no less than 1024 x 768 pixels|
AVG Antivirus Software FAQs
Is AVG for Mac free?
AVG is free to use. AVG’s two related products, AVG TuneUp and AVG Secure VPN, can be bought as an annual subscription or as a 30-day trial.
Is AVG a good Mac antivirus?
AVG is a simple antivirus package that protects against phishing to a moderate degree.
Why do you need virus protection on a Mac?
You need to protect your Mac with antivirus software because Macs are vulnerable to many forms of malware. Even though Macs may have been fairly resilient to hacks and many types of malware in the past, hackers are targeting Macs more and more every year, and instances of Mac malware are on the rise. Macs are especially susceptible to adware. This means Mac antivirus software isn’t a luxury, but a necessity if you want to use your Mac safely online.
Is a free antivirus software for Mac good enough?
Yes! Legitimate antivirus software is far superior to going online without protection. But while free antivirus software for Mac is enough, paid antivirus solutions often include additional features that can provide even more benefits, options, and security protections. AVG Internet Security is one such paid solution that comes with premium features such as tools to block phishing attacks, enhanced ransomware protection, and network scans.
Why is AVG is one of the best free antivirus programs for Mac?
AVG offers one of the best free antivirus apps for Mac thanks to customizable tools, powerful layers of security, and the database of virus definitions that are updated in real-time to catch even zero-day threats. Get AVG today to remove Mac spyware, prevent ransomware and other kinds of malware, and block unsafe links and malicious downloads.
Is McAfee worse than AVG?
Both products protect against malware well and don’t slow down your computer much, but most independent analysts rate McAfee higher because it has more security features and tools.
How do I get AVG to work on my Mac?
Download the file called avg mac security online.dmg. Double-click on the file in your downloads folder. When the box pops up, double-click on Install AVG Antivirus and then follow the on-screen instructions.
How to un-install AVG from my Mac?
Find the icon for AVG AntiVirus in the menu bar of your Mac and choose Open AVG AntiVirus. Click on AVG Uninstall to get rid of it. When the box for confirmation comes up, click Uninstall and do what it says.
AVG Antivirus Software Review
AVG Antivirus For Mac OS is a lightweight and intuitive security solution that can protect your Mac against various threats, viruses, or spyware attempts without requiring too much of your attention.