AbiWord is a lightweight and open-source application that provides users with a simple means of editing and creating text documents, with support for multiple formats.
You are required to go through a pretty simple and smooth setup process, which does not come bundled with any offers from third-party products. Nonetheless, if you are interested in skipping this step, you can easily download its portable counterpart, called Portable AbiWord.
The user interface is simple and familiar; you will quickly get acquainted with a standard toolbar, format, table, and extra bar. The program is equipped with basic features found in other similar products.
Use templates, insert tables and format various elements
You can create a template document (e.g. business letter, memo, press release, resume, two columns), import styles, revert file to last saved date, change document properties, paste unformatted text, find and replace words, and go to a specified page, line or bookmark.
You can also learn how to type a text document information or test your typing skill.
Features of Abiword:
- Enjoy your favorite Word Processor on the operating system you like to use – be it Windows, Linux, QNX, FreeBSD or Solaris.
- AbiWord has been designed to integrate perfectly with the operating system it runs on. It will take advantage of the functionality provided by the system, such as image loading or printing capabilities.
- What use is a Word Processor when you can’t share your documents with your friends? AbiWord is able to read and write all industry standard document types, such as OpenOffice.org documents, Microsoft Word documents, WordPerfect documents, Rich Text Format documents, HTML web pages and many more.
Advanced Document Layout:
- Give your document that professional, scientific or fun-to-read look using AbiWord’s advanced document layout options. Use tables, bullets, lists, images, footnotes, endnotes, and styles to enhance the way your document looks.
- Since not everyone in the world speaks the same language, AbiWord comes in many different languages. AbiWord is available in most common and many not-so-common languages.
- Make sure your document contains none of those nasty spelling errors by using AbiWord’s built-in spelling checker. Dictionaries exist for over 30 languages.
- AbiWord supports right-to-left, left-to-right, and mixed-mode text. This means that in addition to supporting European languages, AbiWord supports languages like Hebrew and Arabic as well.
- Do you also hate writing tens of thousands of form letters by hand? With AbiWord’s Mail Merge capabilities, you can let AbiWord automate that job for you. Special fields inserted into a template document can automatically be replaced with data coming from a variety of sources, such as Relational Databases, Comma Separated Text files or Tabbed Text files.
- To facilitate the use of AbiWord in a server environment, a powerful command-line interface to the software is available. This allows you to generate form letters, print documents or convert documents to any file format supports – all from the command line!
Extensible Plugin Architecture:
- The main AbiWord Windows program is very small and requires very little resources to run. This allows being used on systems that are not considered “State of the Art” anymore, which comes all too quickly in the IT world.
- This plugin system was designed to give AbiWord all the functionality you might expect from a modern Word Processor. A variety of plugins can be used to extend functionality, ranging from document importers to a thesaurus, image importers and a text summarizer.
Notes: This software now not available for windows, If you are using Linux OS than you easily download
Download Abiword Software For Linux